'75-76 231 questions

Java2go

A little history first... I've got a '41 Willys pick-up I'm rebuilding. It's got a 231 with a Weiand (Smokey Yunick) 4bbl intake, no carb, headers, and breaker point distributor. The casting on the block says it a '75 or '76 Odd-fire motor w/ a Non-integrated Distributor Drive. I plan on keeping this engine in the truck (it fits really well without cutting the firewall). It also fits my budget... my other car is a gas hog!

Now the questions... What does "Non-integrated Distributor Drive." mean?? Can the dist. be swapped out for an HEI dist? Also, since there is currently no carb, is there a TBI system I could adapt to fit this motor?? I researched buying a Holley carb (390 cfm) but since I plan to drive the truck daily, I'd like something less temperamental.

I'm not looking for sick horsepower or over the top torque, just decent mileage and drivability. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Non intregrated means there is a seperate gear on the cam shaft that drives the distributor. All odd-fires used the design. The cam has a keyway and the timing chain gear slides on first followed by a fuel pump eccentric and the distributor drive gear. And one bolt and washer holds everything together. Integrated drives have the eccentric cast into the camshaft and a flange that the timing gear bolts to. An HEI will bolt in. It just needs to be the odd fire style. GM used HEI on the odd fires from 75 to 78. I think you'd have to look at the aftermarket to answer that TBI question. If you're into to tinkering than you could always go with a Megasquirt set up. Google Megasquirt for the website.

You can get a set of gn heads 87 version for $100. plus shipping? i have a ported stock intake for $200. plus shipping. They both should bolt right up.

Thanks for all the info!! I'm not ready to move on anything just yet... I'm still figuring out what I want to do... Of course now I have more options to think about... Newer motor... maybe a turbo... hmmm...