231 N/A rebuild Questions

Buick in Olds

Looking for some help from those who have done the upgrade to the 4.1L manifold and 4 barrel carb.

Finally have the motor complete and installed in the car tonight, just about bolted in! My upgrades include mild porting and polishing of heads and intake. Installing the 4.1L manifold and rebuilt Quadrajet, installed a new cam (in a GM "Target" crate motor), running hotter HEI ignition, CAT-Back dual exhaust and installed a 3.42 gear w/posi. Have also changed changed rear springs and boxed the rear control arms.

My questions? We plan on NOT putting the air pump back on car and plugging tube to CAT. Also thinking of running EGR straight and not using the solenoids on the passenger valve cover all while using the ECM. Car is a 1984 version G-Body! Whew! thanks in advance for any and all help!

That's sounds like a great build up. :)

I just disabled my AIR pump (and my emissions notice came yesterday, but I was expecting it). The older cats need the air to be effective, but I'm plan to get a new cat that doesn't use an AIR tube. The manufacturer says the newer cats are efficient enough to work without the AIR tubes/pump.

I think you'll need the solenoids for the EGR to work, otherwise it will just be open all the time and won't idle. Try hooking up a vacuum gauge to them and see when they are open and closed.

Running the EGR without the selonoid will cause the EGR to open up at cold start up....(not good).

Ridding the Purge selonoid will cause that god awful smell of gas in the cab, (it has to vent out somewere).

Ridding the heat control selonoid will cause it to open during cold start up delaying warm up.

I firmly believe one should keep these things active. Removing them will not improve performance. However removing the AIR pump will not affect anything but an OEM Catalytic converter. Since you already removed the cat and replaced it with a Cat-Back, should be no problemo! :D

Since you added a duel exhaust, I have questions for you. Check out the thread I posted. :cool: