700R4 lockup or non?

malibu2733

Hello I know this is a turbo site but I still have a problem with my plain regal, wondering if someone could help? I'm going to install a mild small block chevy and 373 gears, Now I can get my hands on a 700R4 trans fairly cheap, but the converter is a lockup style and is no good. What I was wondering is if I install a non lockup will it fry the trans? Any help will be apreciated.:confused:

Why would you want non-lockup?

I used a 700R4 in my SBC350 S10, with a Dacco 2800 stall lockup converter. 100,000 miles of towing and extreme abuse, and it worked fine till the trans finally gave up the ghost. After a rebuild, it still works fine. I used a vacuum switch to control lockup at near WOT or WOT, and also had a pushbutton switch to prevent lockup when I didn't want it. :cool:

Im pretty sure youll want a lockup converter for a lockup trans, regardless if you can make it work or not. Mines on a switch as well but it only ingages in 4th gear in the on postion. It knocks off about 200 rpm when ingaged. I have a highly modified sbc 267 (my 350 blew up and this is what was in my other regal before it got t-boned by a prizick who wasnt paying attention)with 3.73 gears
and a 700- lockup trans. She chirps 1-2 all day long. Almost just as much as the 350, although with the 350 I have chirped 1st 2nd and 3rd. Good Luck

special switch?

Is there a special lockup switch and wiring harness I have to buy to make the trans lock since I'm switching over to a 700R4 or will the lock up wiring work out of my 86 regal? How about the converter? Trying to do this cheap going to sell and buy a turbo regal I found fairly cheap!

lockup

In jegs they sell many lockup kits. They seem to work on all lockup type trans(same part #) eg 700,200,350, and 200c wich i dint even know locked up. Anyway yes it should work if you have one of those tranys. As far as the coverter is conserned Im not an expert but there are 2 different splines i FOR gm 700 r4 tranys a 27 and 32. You need to count how many yours is before you buy anything. A torq converter can be used 4l60e trans. Its pretty much the same.

The spline counts are 27 and 30. The 700 went to 30 spline in late 84. You can run an auto lockup by running the power thru the Terminal A on the plug. Run this to the positive side of the lockup solenoid and run the negative side of the solenoid to the 4th pressure switch. When it gets 4th, auto lockup and when it downshifts out of 4th, auto unlock. The TCI unit works off of a vacuum switch so when you give it throttle and vacuum drops, it will unlock the converter.