6X9 speakers

bad V6

I'm looking to upgrade my existing 6X9 speakers and would like to some help in deciding which speakers to go with. I haven't fooled with much stereo equipment since the early '90s. I was messing around the other day and found an old box of stereo items, then began installing a few of them. Currently, I have an Alpine head unit, Alpine 1/2 DIN EQ, Rockford Fosgate Punch 45 and 75 amps, Alpine 3.5" and 6"X9" speakers. I have the amps turned down, the 6X9s are still overpowered. They have these wimpy little magnets, and would be OK when used with a X-over to eliminate the lower bass frequencies, but I don't want to go with subs. I am looking for a pair of 6X9 speakers that will give a nice tight bass response, yet have good mids and highs, and be able to handle approx. 75-100 watts RMS. I figure they will be 3-way speakers.

Pat

I'm looking to upgrade my existing 6X9 speakers and would like to some help in deciding which speakers to go with. I haven't fooled with much stereo equipment since the early '90s. I was messing around the other day and found an old box of stereo items, then began installing a few of them. Currently, I have an Alpine head unit, Alpine 1/2 DIN EQ, Rockford Fosgate Punch 45 and 75 amps, Alpine 3.5" and 6"X9" speakers. I have the amps turned down, the 6X9s are still overpowered. They have these wimpy little magnets, and would be OK when used with a X-over to eliminate the lower bass frequencies, but I don't want to go with subs. I am looking for a pair of 6X9 speakers that will give a nice tight bass response, yet have good mids and highs, and be able to handle approx. 75-100 watts RMS. I figure they will be 3-way speakers.

Pat

Too many 6 x 9's to choose from. I have tried many brands on g-body cars and never found a speaker that really produced good bass.

A single 8" in a small enclousre will produce some good decent bass and it won't take much room.

I know what you are saying about there being to many 6X9s on the market. I used to have a set of Alpine 2-ways that sounded good in a '82 Monte, they had magnets half as big as the speaker itself, but that was back damn near 20 years ago.

I had thought about a 8" speaker, seems like somebody made one in a 2-way configuration, back in the early '90s. I did a little research and was unable to find anything.

I don't particularly want to go to subs, I've outgrown that stage. I would like to find a 6X9 speaker that will produce decent bass, not shake the car apart. Has anyone had any luck with any of these: Polk Audio, MB Quart, Infinity, JBL, or Rockford Fosgate? Or could you suggest anything else?

Pat

Need to make a correction, the amp that will probably be driving the speakers is a RF Punch 150.

Need to make a correction, the amp that will probably be driving the speakers is a RF Punch 150.

Make sure the bass boost is not turned up, this will eliminate alot of the bass going to your speakers.

Also a good idea is to use a 100 microfarad cap to block off the 3.5" speakers.

Ill tell you what, you sell me those old school fosgate amps and Ill tell you which by9s to use!:biggrin: Seriously, think about it...........haha.

Okay, Im gonna give you a few options and my personal opinion. First off....... 6x9s can produce some pretty decent bass response if powered correctly. In the past, I have used Boston Rally's and liked them (not made anymore I dont think). I have used your typical Alpine 2-ways and Eclipse 2-ways. They worked fine but I felt they were a little weak.

Option 1: Currently in my GN I am using Rockford Fosgate HPC-2369 6x9s. They are kinda hard to find on ebay, but definately can handle the power your using. I am running a Punch 4080 DSM on them right now and they scream. They are 100 rms 200 peak watts. Other good choices are the 2005-2006 Power Series (sorry dont know model numbers).

Option 2: Haha, you arent even ready for this. I got turned onto these speakers by a local buddy. They are called POWERBASS. Do a search on ebay and look at the prices. Your gonna be very surprised. I have a pair of the PB-693C by9s in my 1999 Regal GS and let me tell you, they SCREAM w/ no amp! I have also used their 6.5s and 10" subs in my GF's car! Man, Ill tell you what, bang for the buck, give them a try. If you dont like them sell them to me, along with those amps, haha. If I buy another TR for a daily driver it is getting all PowerBass Speakers. Check them out, let me know if you have any specific questions, glad to help! Cya

Try eclipse or focal 6X9's! They have great bass and they fit in the stock locations. You are going to need an amp to run them but they will hit hard. Focal's will handle all the power you throw at them. I have 6.5 Focal's in the front kickpanels and they sound incredible.

i loved the my old pioneer 6969s
i put a small box around them like the ones on the old caddy's and they sounded great but remember its only a 6x9 not a subwoofer
to produce bass you need to move air. so the size of the speaker is key to the amount of bass you want.

The hook up.

I would highly recommend Crutchfield. (Maybe we need to inquire to them to possibly become a supporting vendor. That would be sweet.) They might be slightly higher priced on their products, but you get a lot more free stuff than you would buying anywhere else. When you buy a head unit, they give you a radio pod installation kit and all the OEM adapter wiring harnesses for free. When you buy speakers, they give you installation brackets and OEM adapter wiring splices for free. Not too mention they will give you very detailed installation instructions that are vehicle specific, with pictures. I recently purchased some items from them and I am very happy I did. Free SAP adaptors for my speakers, free wiring adapter harnesses for the speakers and the head unit, and a very detailed installation manual.
If you upgrade to 6x9s, you will need these.

GM SAPs 4x10 to 6''x9'' at Crutchfield.com

h120824000-f_dg.jpeg

Here is the hook up for our cars as far as everything they sell that will fit.

Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield!

h1089613i.jpeg

For the price, you can't beat these Infinity Reference 9613i 6x9 3 ways.
Details:
» 3-way 6"x9" speakers (pair)
» Plus One+ poly woofer cone with high-roll rubber surround
» silk dome tweeter and midrange
» power range: 2-100 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
» frequency response: 46-21,000 Hz
» sensitivity: 92 dB
» top-mount depth: 3"
» warranty: 1 year

I installed these in place of my factory 4x10s pushed by a Kenwood KRC-335 that has 22w RMS / 45w peak x4 channels and they sounded great compared to stock. Then I went with an Infinity Reference 7521a amp to power them.

Infinity Reference 7521a 2-channel car amplifier 97 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com
h108R7521A-f_mt.jpeg

Holy Cow these 6x9s rock with this amp!!!
IMHO you can't beat this combo for crystal clear highs, mids and plenty of bass for the price. Now, I'm not a rep for Crutchfield, but me being into Sales and Customer Service for the past 14 years, I can say this about them, these guys have to be one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. Excellent Customer Service, Tech support, detailed installation manuals and free stuff. "Free Stuff"!!! I will snap a few pictures of SAP adapters and the speakers installed on my T tonight and post them up.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

i second the infinities, you really cant go wrong with them, thats all i buy/will ever buy after hearing how amazing they were in my non insulated 198x pathfinder...you wont regret it, and if prices scares you, you can buy them wholesale previous year model at a place like ETRONICS.com

Daaaa Pics...

Here are the pics I snapped of the 6x9 Infinities with the SAP adapters. These adapters will only go on one way and the wires used to support the whole assembly will need to be supported and wrapped around the speakers like you see in the picture, or else you will not be able to push them up to the little piece of metal flap that they hang onto.

DSC00522.jpg

Guess I gotta work on that surface rust.... Sigh... :(

I used the gold colored lock plates that came with the speakers and screwed them onto the bolts that came with the SAP adapters. Use caution if you use these as they are very sharp and will cut you. I used caution. :D

DSC00521.jpg

The speakers' magnet will have to be positioned above the trunk rod/rods as well as the speaker and SAP will need to be strategically positioned so that the metal wire hangers will reach. It will take a little finagling but after about 30 minutes of fiddling with it, they both fit perfectly without having to bend the wire, or modify the factory hanger flap thingy... :confused: :biggrin:

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I would have loved to have these pics when I was installing them, but oh well.
Hope this helps some of you out there.

Patrick

Anybody install 6x9s without the 4x10 adapters? I have those adapters and hate them. No matter what I do, they always vibrate against the rear deck. I'm gonna try to install the 6x9s with bolts through the deck. What do you think?