69 Chevelle SS

Redrum

Hello to everyone from the NW. I have never been into this section of the site before and I was invinted in to say hello. If you check out my signature line you will see I have several "nice" cars that should be fun to match up with at the track. THe GN's and TT's were a bit later than the year cars I am most fond of as I was a teenager in the late 60's so my passion is the cars from that "musclecar" era. I really appreciate the work you do with your older cars however and I am still relatively new to attempting to "tune" a car so it would be even more fun to meet and "chat" with you.

I do have a very nice home shop with a mechanic's pit and a huge 12.5 HP gas powered air-compressor if anyone ever wants to cruise out to Fox Island and visit or use the tools. I keep a fridge with beer in it at all times and my only neighbor is not offended by engines being run or tuned. Consider this an open invitation to visit on about any weekend day I am home. Obviously this probably means later this fall or winter if we get good car show or racing weather. I just finished the 69 SS Chevelle and will be racing and showing the car as it is beautiful and should win a few trophies if I don't break or wreck it at the track Saturday! email me at mshoover@harbornet.com if you want to stop by my Fox Island shop or meet at Bremerton Raceway, Pacific Raceway or a car show.

If you email me I will make a "roster up" and contact you from time to time if I will be doing something I think you would also be interested in and I would like to be invited to things you are doing if one of my cars would be welcome too.

Thanks for the invite.
Didn't know where Fox Island was, so I looked it up. Near Tacoma, right ?

I get out to do a few local car shows and hit the drag strip a couple times a year. Maybe we could meet up sometime.

One car show you should definitely consider is the Musclecar Show at the Pierce County Fairgrounds. It's sponsored by the NW GTO club in September. By far the best musclecar show I've been to around here.

Chris, do you have the dates on the NW Musclecar show yet ?
I don't see anything on their website http://www.northwestlegends.com/

The show is on September 20, 2003, and one of the club members has already promised sunshine for that day!

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

Here's an email response I received from the GTO guys:

You bet we're having it again this year. - Gonna be bigger and better than ever too! The 17th Annual Northwest Musclecar Meet will be at the usual spot (Pierce County Fairgrounds) from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Saturday, Sept. 20. Here's a flyer in PDF
http://www.northwestlegends.com/media/nwmcm2003.pdf

I will plan on being there. I may have a few WOT issues to sort out but that won't affect showing the car. I did a WOT blast today and had a couple of issues. First, ping on 92 octane at higher RPM so I will first try mixing a bit of 110 with the 92 octane as I like the current idle and off idle response and there is no "ping" issue under normal load.

The second issue I am not even sure exists as it happened at the same time I heard the ping and lifted but it felt like I bumped off the rev limiter which is set for 6000 RPM. This is a potential problem as I had the 2004R in drive and was just letting the tranny do the shifting. The other potential issue would be fuel pressure or delivery. It all happened so quick I didn't get to see what the tach was reading and I do not like to play with these issues on the street! So, I may not have a lot of fun Saturday at Bremerton if I am trying to sort out issues.

Hopefully I will be able to find a gearhead willing to help at the track as I really am a newbie at tuning.

RedRum,

You might also try throwing some Xylene in your tank. probably cheaper than 110, easier to come by, and more octane.

I have a friend who I told about it and he tried it in his GTO and his ZR-1 and now he is hooked!

Chris

cjp69 -

Where do you buy xylene up here? I don't know where to go to pick some up.....

You can get 5 gallon can of Xylene at any paint store, e.g. Sherman, Columbia, etc. or more expensive 1 gallon cans at hardware stores in the paint section. This is a good time to get to know a contractor to buy this stuff at wholesale price for ya.

Be sure to search for "xylene" on this website to learn about the proper mixture formula.

It really works. I've used it in my GN with excellent results. Keep in mind that you can only get near 100 octane with the unleaded-xylene mixture. But much better than the weak 92 octane pump gas around here.