66 nova Hybrid

Novachris

It's been a long time since I've been on these boards. turbo6man got me back to the boards again and I don't think I've ever submitted any photos of my hybrid. So here's the short story with some pics...

Keep stuffin' those motors in your rides!

Engine rebuild pictures taken 1-1/2 years ago during a refresh.
Track photos taken 1-2 years before rebuild except for 1st pic.
Engine-in-car photo taken ~4 years ago (still with MAF and 60 series turbo).

current setup:
1966 Chevy Nova stats (from CSN Racing):

Original 1966 Chevy Nova chassis
Stock Front Suspension, with adjustable shocks
Stock Rear Suspension, with leafs moved inboard to accommodate 10” tire. Caltracs and 9 way adjustable Rancho shocks.
Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, 275-50/15
1987 Buick V6 from a Buick Grand National. Original block, crank, connecting rods, cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds.
Engine mods include polished crank and rods, steel main caps, engine girdle, JE pistons, zero lash piston rings, roller camshaft and lifters, roller rockers and 0.010” larger intake valves, Commetic head gaskets and ARP studs throughout.
70mm single turbo
Gen6 batch-fire DFI with 72 lb/hr fuel injectors
Custom designed, front-mount intercooler
Ford AOD transmission, with lock-up in third (courtesy of Lentech Automatics)
8-1/2”, 10 bolt rear end with Ultimate cover and brace, spool and 3.42 gears.
10 point roll-cage, Kirkey seats and IHRA sanctioned safety gear.
The vehicle weighed in at 3,300lbs with driver a few years ago.

Current best ET of 9.93 @ 138 MPH with 1.34 sec 60 ft time at 28lbs of boost.

2007 testing with refreshed motor has yielded 10.30’s at 24lbs of boost with slower 60ft times, with vehicle driven to track (40 min on highway each way).

Attachments

• chevlaunch-cl.jpg
    chevlaunch-cl.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,101
  • aug00033.jpg
    aug00033.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Engine rebuild Jul06 002.jpg
    Engine rebuild Jul06 002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,145
  • Engine rebuild Jul06 003_2.jpg
    Engine rebuild Jul06 003_2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • CCD00412.jpg
    CCD00412.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,214
Why the AOD?

I had the stock GN engine with the 200R4 in it the late 90's, and I went through some of the problems many Buick owners had. Len from Lentech Automatics (who specializes in AOD's) approached me to put an AOD in my car in exchange for some custom adapter plates. Hot Rod magazine was coming up to do a story on his AOD's and wanted to cover a few cars that had the AOD swap. I already did the Buick hybrid swap, so why not the AOD? Hot Rod did a half page on my car in the March 2001 issue (below) and the rest is history.

I like the features of the AOD - transbrake, lock-up in third, good hard components and of course, the overdrive. I'm still making input shafts and the custom, hardened drums for Lentech to this day. (the adapter plates are history with the advent of the SFI bells now being made).

cons - it weighs a lot... Pushed the car with me in it over 3100lbs.

Attachments

• Hot Rod 2001 article.jpg
    Hot Rod 2001 article.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 956
Wow that video has some retarded comments on there. "Why not a 468? seriously" ROFL.

Very nice car you've got.

Awesome

Hey!! It is great to see your posting here on the site! This is the car that really showed me how well a GN motor works in a chevyII and I cannot wait to get my 63 chevyII going because of it. Hopefully it will run similar to your car. If you have any more pictures or videos please post them as I would really like to see them. AWESOME WORK, James

Why the AOD?

I had the stock GN engine with the 200R4 in it the late 90's, and I went through some of the problems many Buick owners had. Len from Lentech Automatics (who specializes in AOD's) approached me to put an AOD in my car in exchange for some custom adapter plates. Hot Rod magazine was coming up to do a story on his AOD's and wanted to cover a few cars that had the AOD swap. I already did the Buick hybrid swap, so why not the AOD? Hot Rod did a half page on my car in the March 2001 issue (below) and the rest is history.

I like the features of the AOD - transbrake, lock-up in third, good hard components and of course, the overdrive. I'm still making input shafts and the custom, hardened drums for Lentech to this day. (the adapter plates are history with the advent of the SFI bells now being made).

cons - it weighs a lot... Pushed the car with me in it over 3100lbs.

Whatever works I guess, there have been vast improvements to the 200R4 since then. But hey, your setup obivously works, so that's cool too.

:biggrin:

Very nice conversion man!!!!!

Glad you came back on here to share!

I've read alot on the AOD's... when done right they sure are hard to beat.
Your car's still light at 3100! That's great!
~Scott

Wow that video has some retarded comments on there. "Why not a 468? seriously" ROFL.

I won't knock the 468; it has it's place in muscle cars, but I don't think I'd want to put one in a 62-67 Nova....there's some extra sugery needed to get it in there.

Nice car. Can't see I've seen anyone with a bright teal car like that since the early 90's.

i know this thread is a few years out.. but im looking for any pics of the suspension to do the same conversion . they make a drop in Rack n pinion but Im not sure what will work . thanks Ray NJTURBO@comcast.net