6262 Bb Billet Porting

DEMO MAN

coming to a ghetto near u
got a 6262 bb billet installed and can turn the boost down below 30 using the rod or rjc boost control. i've been doing some reading on here and it seems it needs ported to match my houston 3" dp. how do i do this? is there a template i can use? thanks, tim

Purchase 'prussian blue' machinist dye from your parts start. I know NAPA carries it. Spread the blue dye on your waste gate puck, tighten down the down pipe again, and slap the puck against the exhaust housing to mark the housing. Take the DP back off. You now have the diameter of the puck marked on the exhaust. I then took a marking pen and carfully marked around the blue dye and wiped it off. You now have a line to act as a guide. I left a considerable amount of material around the inside of the line to ensure a good seal, and extra material to work with in case of future porting. I believe I left 1/8" of material to the inside of my diameter. No problems...

Listen to SS Sean, 'prussian blue' worked great for me . I took his advice on my 6262 and took care of porting my wastegate hole. The only bad part is that I still can't get over 3/4 throttle thus having 25+ lbs of boost. Just sent my heavy duty actuator back to Precision for a standard actuator. Hope that it solves my issues.

Here is my link on the same subject.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/274668-wastegate-hole-porting.html

Purchase 'prussian blue' machinist dye from your parts start. I know NAPA carries it. Spread the blue dye on your waste gate puck, tighten down the down pipe again, and slap the puck against the exhaust housing to mark the housing. Take the DP back off. You now have the diameter of the puck marked on the exhaust. I then took a marking pen and carfully marked around the blue dye and wiped it off. You now have a line to act as a guide. I left a considerable amount of material around the inside of the line to ensure a good seal, and extra material to work with in case of future porting. I believe I left 1/8" of material to the inside of my diameter. No problems...
This is some good info;) Any pics of that bad boy turbo with the S cover on the car?

Little Bit of Porting

I ended up leaving about a 1/8" all the way around. Drimal tool with a little patience worked great.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 545
great info ,thank u soon as i get a free second i'm gonna do this. i'm also runnin a high boost actuator. i was messin with it a little more tday and got down to 24:smile:
thanks tim

Not only do you need to enlarge the hole, but you must work on the radius leading into the hole as well. The air needs to make the turn as efficiently as possible.

K.

I was having a similar problem. I have the 6262 billet journal bearing and my boost was out of control. I ported the wastegate hole and it still wanted to boost to 20+ psi.

I ordered the turbo with the HD actuator as well. I was using the factory wastegate solenoid to help control the boost. I spoke with Jason at RJC and he told me to eliminate the wastegate solenoid and run a hose from the compressor directly to the actuator. Problem solved!

Now with the wastegate rod almost all of the way loose im getting 17psi with plenty of room to crank it up!

I was getting worried for a bit.

I was having a similar problem. I have the 6262 billet journal bearing and my boost was out of control. I ported the wastegate hole and it still wanted to boost to 20+ psi.

I ordered the turbo with the HD actuator as well. I was using the factory wastegate solenoid to help control the boost. I spoke with Jason at RJC and he told me to eliminate the wastegate solenoid and run a hose from the compressor directly to the actuator. Problem solved!

Now with the wastegate rod almost all of the way loose im getting 17psi with plenty of room to crank it up!

I was getting worried for a bit.

I thought the factory wastegate soleniod hooked up it would pull boost out if the ecm sees knock, with it disconnected I guess it can do that?

mine is already disconnected, when u hook up the rjc valve u don't use the factory solenoid anymore. i have line from actuator to rjc control to compressor.

Since I am doing an install of a 6262 myself, what happens when using an old school Boost Commander with an external gate, will that control boost spikes??? With my TA49 with external wastegate I am getting a solid 24lb max boost but can dial it down to 10lbs if I want.

Using TWO wastegate solenoids to get 14 lbs of adjustment. Is the boost creep/spike problem just with bleeder valve boost controllers??

I don't know if these pics will help anybody, to see if I did a good job or not as far as hole porting is concerned. Anyway I just put everything back together and ran a hose directly from actuator to compressor, instead of all the hose I had previously had, trying to hide RJC valve. Thinking maybe the length of the hoses was causing me my boost problems. So I took my car around the block and it is still at 23 lbs and climbing slowly at WOT, and this is with standard actuator. My waste gate rod is 1 turn in from just slipping right on puck arm.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 415
Not only do you need to enlarge the hole, but you must work on the radius leading into the hole as well. The air needs to make the turn as efficiently as possible.

K.

Exactly. It took some time to port mine. I just worked slowly and it turned out great. Mine kind of looks funnel shaped to help the air move out efficiently.

I enlarged the hole from .900 to 1.115. Stays rock steady at 17psi now. I can't wait to crank this thing up in a couple of weeks and see what she will do.

Did you lay back the inside edge near the exhaust housing entry? It kinda looks like it in the pic. Doing that and hooking up the wastegate in Tuner mode with the RJC boost valve gave us solid boost control.

I don't know if these pics will help anybody, to see if I did a good job or not as far as hole porting is concerned. Anyway I just put everything back together and ran a hose directly from actuator to compressor, instead of all the hose I had previously had, trying to hide RJC valve. Thinking maybe the length of the hoses was causing me my boost problems. So I took my car around the block and it is still at 23 lbs and climbing slowly at WOT, and this is with standard actuator. My waste gate rod is 1 turn in from just slipping right on puck arm.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Looking at the pics.... You need to lay back the radius big time, from the 1-o'clock position to the 5-o'clock going counter-clockwise...

K.

I thought opening the hole gave better boost control?

What I did with mine RJC controller was cut the spring down. I can now get the boost down to 18 psi.