'62 Buick Special LC2 Hybrid build question thread....

buickspec6231

Instead of making a million threads when I have a questions for my build, I will start my own thread and will just post questions in here. I'm in the process of putting together a LC2 powered 1962 Buick Special station wagon hybrid.

I am getting ready to drop in the engine for mock ups and motor mount fabrication. Here comes the question. How many degrees of angle should the engine be mounted? I am using the lower intake plenum to upper intake plenum mating surfaces as my point of reference.

I know this is not critical because cars obviously drive up and down hills.. But where it will become an issue is driveline angle. I have it set at about 5 degrees right now, (The front of the engine setting higher than the rear) while it is hanging from the cherry picker. It looks cosmetically sound. I am just curious what a factory G-body car is set to.

not sure on degree of angle

but would like to see pics as you progress,
I like this combo!!!!

Here are some pictures.

HPIM0235.jpgHPIM0249.jpgHPIM0248.jpgHPIM0236.jpgHPIM0556.jpg

Very cool project. I saw it earlier but know what you'd planned on doing with the front suspension. The fronts of those things handled about as well as a tug boat from what I remember about them.:)

Heres a good read on pinion angle in correlation to the harmonic balancer so if you measure your current pinion and do some algerbra you should get the info you need. BaselineSuspensions.com.........Setting Pinion Angle

Thanks for the info on this. I didn't think about measuring off of the harmonic balancer. Unfortunently, there is no rear installed in the car anymore. But atleast its a good constant to keep in mind. Still trying to figure out what rear I want to use in it.

Very cool project. I saw it earlier but know what you'd planned on doing with the front suspension. The fronts of those things handled about as well as a tug boat from what I remember about them.:)

Charlie, Yeah I tried and tried to fit a N/A 3.8 in that engine compartment with the stock crossmember for a while. Nothing I did worked out. As you can see I chopped it up a bunch just to see if I could get it in there with real quick mocked up frame mounts it was never going to work. Then I got this crazy idea to either install a 401 nailhead or the turbo V6... So, I picked the turbo engine. Once I decided to take that plunge I decided to pull the original front suspension and do my own thing. I saw that front end kit on one of those terrible Saturday morning SPIKE TV shows, and figured I would just do that. So far its worked well. I'm satisfied, even if I am flying by the seat of my pants with it. Had the car 10 years now and I have never driven it. It was the first car I ever bought at 16 years old.... Someday I will drive it, but I love working on it either way. Finally have a decent job and can throw a few dollars at the car. I will have to compare the driving experience to a stock model and a tug boat some day. Thanks for checking it out. There will be more to follow and a long road ahead.