60s or 80s for 11's? Walbro 340 enough?

trbogn

I have been thinking of adding an alky kit to my car for the past year or so. I really like the idea of running e-85 instead of an alky setup.......I will be able to keep my 14,000 original mile GN a bit more stock appearing with less mods.

I realistically only want fuel potential to get into the mid/high 11's. I am running stock turbo currently and would be happy with consistent low 12's, may upgrade to a TA-58 at some point in the future to get into the 11's.

I will be keeping stock fuel lines.

For a basic e-85 setup with conservative goals of mid/high 11's, should I use 60lb or 80lb injectors? I bought a new walbro in tank pump and hotwire kit from fullthrottleperformance, but have not installed it yet. Is there a higher flow single intank pump I should install instead of the basic walbro?

Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:
Well, just read turbotweak.com. I guess a single in-tank pump will only support up to 60lb injectors? So I suppose 80lb injectors with a single in-tank pump would not be of any benefit over the 60s? I didn't really want to get into the more complicated double pump fuel systems.....which would be limited anyways by my stock fuel lines.

I would go 80s as the 60s won't be enough to get you to your goals on e85. Your pump will the limiting factor once you go 80s. Problem is once you go to a bigger pump your going to have to address the return line issues. Imop, I would call nick micale at www. Arizonagn.com and talk to him about your goals. On our 15k mile 87 We4 we run nicks new pump with the stock lines routes a different way. Call him and he can explain.

Thanks for the info. Looks like that DW intank pump he sells would be higher flow than the walbro I have currently.

I just went E-85 w/ 80s and TT chip and so far very smooth and still tuning. The DW pump is next with Wix in line filter and closed the plug gaps to 26-28 to prevent spark blowout.
Let us know which way you go and how you like it..................

The DW300 awesome pump I run this in my car going low 11's. Walbro :banghead:

The issue you may have is the part about the "keeping the stock fuel lines". With a single pump you will need a bigger return line. A double pumper could help. 80's are good til mid to low 11's. If you already have the 60's and 340 get one of Julio Alky set up's. Use the parts you have, keep the stock fuel lines and when it all said and done less work/cost. I was curious about E-85 and was running one of Julio kits, decided to see what I would need for a stock short block, heads and cam with a TE 60. I had started with a single TT 340 pump and #79's but when it was all said and done I jumped up to a Racetronix DP w/ Aeromotive 340's, -8 feed -6 return and #79's to a best time of 7.23 @ 93mph. IDC was up to 92-94% so 120's are going in.

Thanks for all the info. I hadn't purchased the alky kit or 60s yet and was in process of buying a new fuel pump anyways. Running e-85 should be cheaper setup than alky, as well as a more stock appearance (alky - $600 kit, $300 for 60's, $100 for tt chip. e-85 - $300 for 80's, $100 for tt chip, $60 more for the DW fuel pump over the walbro). Potentially the fuel lines may have to be upgraded in the future, but hopefully I will be okay for the time being with my conservative goals of high 11's.

I spoke with Nick from arizonagn and he recommended the DW300 pump, which is higher flow than the walbro. The DW300 pump is on its way. He also recommended an inline Wix fuel filter part number 33481, which is also on its way. I ordered the 80lb injectors and an extender extreme g chip for e-85 from Eric at TT.

I will be running this setup with my stock turbo for now and may get a TA-49 or TA-58 next year. According to Nick, this pump and injector combo should be fine for mid/high 11's when I eventually do upgrade my turbo. Of course, this is assuming that there are not any issues with my fuel return lines, which may have to be addressed.

Excited to get this stuf installed and tuned up. Will be great to be in 'kill mode' at all times.

Last edited:
Belsie, how do you like the TA-49 with the e-85? How is your tuning coming along? What kind of boost and timing numbers are you running? This will be a similar setup to what I am trying to put together.

I am still in infant stages, been working on PowerLogger install then I will be able to get details as tuning moves along. So far tight 26-28 plug gap & Wix filter took the dead bog away. TA-49 is a great 1st turbo step as it spools nice w/stock conv.
I am using TT chip with timing 21-23 & boost 23-25 (haven't got there yet) I will work on fuel lines soon along w/ volt booster.
Hoping the fun is yet to come.....................

Trbogn it sounds like you are on the right track. When I switched to E85 I already had the Walbro 340 pump and 60# injectors. I have the same 1/4 goals as you. According to Eric at turbotweak the 60's are good down to about 11.30's in the 1/4 on E85 (maxed at that point). http://www.turbotweak.com/forum/showthread.php?1892-E85-Stock-turbo-stock-intercooler-what-do-I-need I may add a volt booster though, and raise the fuel pressure if I have to. I recently installed a new turbo TA5957 and M/T tires so I will get to the track soon, hopefully.

monteperformance, that is about the size turbo that I would be going to in the future. How is the spooling on the TA5957 on e-85 compared to the stocker? Did you get the ball bearing turbo? What are your goals at the track with it?

I read that a ball bearing TA6057 could be used on the stock converter, due to its quicker spooling times. I wonder if this setup using e-85 would make this even faster spooling with the stock convertor?

The spooling is pretty much the same as with the stock turbo. I have a re stalled d5 which is pretty close to a stock converter. I think with the e85 chip the timing is a little more aggressive which helps with the spool too. It's journal bearing with a garret .63 ex housing to help with quicker spool. At this point I would be happy with anything in the 11s. My previous best on reg radials and the stock turbo was 13.3@100. I got my turbo from bison he was really helpful in choosing the proper setup.