600+ rwhp on E85, what would I need for convesion

GN SBS

As an experiment, Dale Cherry of The Injection Connection and Bill Moss did an E85 tune for me as part of my transition to XFI. E85 alone made more than 600 rwhp (more than pump gas and alchy) and I'm toying with the idea of doing an E85 conversion since I have an E85 pump right near my house. Presumably I could spray alchy on top of the E85 and coax even more out of her.

I found one good FAQ from the Scooby guys here, but has anyone carefully thought through what we'd need to convert to E85? Found a stainless steel tank that fits in the stock location? See Rick's for one general source)?

I'm thinking in addition to the tank and fuel lines (teflon would be used), all of the rubber connections (including injector o-rings, no?), and the paper filter that my A1000 uses, would need to be taken care of. Who has done it?

Thanks,
Scott

You would have to get a bigger pump, and stainless mesh filter.
I have used earls socketless hose and anodized fittings with no issues.

The Aeromotive Eliminator and Pro pumps are more up your alley at that power range with the ability to step up. But those pumps have a reputation of being short lived unlike Magnafuels.

I have a Magnafuel 500 but it's on my carbed GTO running E85, but Magnafuel has a couple monster EFI pumps also, call them.

I used a stainless meshed -12 Summit fuel filter and -12 SS Summit lines with anodized fittings.

I also have a Ricks Hot Rod Tank but be prepared to spend some $$ especially if you want it sumped and baffled.

And with the XFI you can run monster injectors but don't bother under the 120's.

Try contacting Whites Racing in Michigan. He's doing some work on a conversion with BS3 (DFI) and some E85 sensors. I think he has a BS3 plug and play system complete for $2500. I would assume this would include some phone support.

FWI, Aeromotive does NOT recommend using their paper filter with E-85.
Conrad Carter
HotAir

Scott,
You might want to use the stock tank (with sump) for now. Several members have posted that they have been running E85 for several years with stock tank with no trouble. You will need the sump to be sure the pump has a full load of fuel without having to lift it out of the tank.

If you are making serious power, you need to be thinking about a serious fuel system. Fuel lines...look at -10 supply and -8 return lines! Just remember that at any given HP level, E85 will require 15% MORE fuel flow. I would be looking at ~100 lb/hr fuel injectors and Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump and accompanying FPR and a FP Electronic Controller (keeps the FP from killing itself by cutting back the voltage at idle or other low flow conditions). That is were I'm headed....I like to do something once and be done with it! Remember, you never want to go lean!

Food for thought.

Conrad

Dan
I,m sure with back to back E85 vs pump gas tests we get 8% power gains on turbo cars.

Hey Dale !!! your alive and well ?? maybe catch up with ya this summer. Doesn't look like we are making BG so we will hit Atco or CC in Oct. :cool: Very impressive E85 stuff!! BUT Alky is .... never mind :p

E85 is cool but hard to find plus you fuel system needs to be changed to handle it , 30% more needed at WOT, better pump & filters, larger injectors, etc. It's not for everyone. Alky will get the job done.

E85 is cool but hard to find plus you fuel system needs to be changed to handle it , 30% more needed at WOT, better pump & filters, larger injectors, etc. It's not for everyone. Alky will get the job done.

Don't you have some work to do :eek: :p

Well I've changed the injectors and the chip... lets see that was over a year ago:rolleyes: What else was I supposed to change??

bsdlinux,
So, you have been running E85 for a year now? Are you using the stock fuel pump, fuel lines, and fuel filter?
Conrad

bsdlinux,
So, you have been running E85 for a year now? Are you using the stock fuel pump, fuel lines, and fuel filter?
Conrad

Yes....actually over a year and over 10,000 miles;)
The pump is a Kirban replacement that the previous owner put in, everthing else is stock except injectors of course :D
I drive the White car everyday with E-85.

Well I've changed the injectors and the chip... lets see that was over a year ago:rolleyes: What else was I supposed to change??

On a stock setup I see no problems with it working with just an injector & chip change, You do not have to change anything if you don't want to its's your car. We were working with a higher HP so more pump demand and fuel line size, bigger injectors etc. were needed.

Same timing , etc, etc..???

The cooling of E-85 eclispes that of ALKY kit, now would someone please use both :biggrin:

You have bin running E-85 for a year so I'm sure you have some good data with it ( HP & TQ, how much more or less timing , how much more boost with out knock, fuel consumption, etc.) How about you trying it and share some info. I would like to know if their is power to be found.

You have bin running E-85 for a year so I'm sure you have some good data with it ( HP & TQ, how much more or less timing , how much more boost with out knock, fuel consumption, etc.) How about you trying it and share some info. I would like to know if their is power to be found.

I don't have an alky kit right now. When I convert my black car over I will use 100% E-85 and Meth injection. And try it :D

As far as performance , the E-85 kicks butt. I'm running 26 degrees timing and 22-23 psi boost in the White car all the time and that is with less than 100% E-85.

You'll lose varying amount of mileage depending on what mixture of E-85 to gas you use. Some people have had very good luck with a 50/50 and still retain most of their mileage.

One thing I did find is that I needed to run a hotter thermostat to have it really work well. So I run a 195 in this Texas heat with no problems, The alcohol likes the engine warmer to work the best, I'm sure the oil appreciates it too... in fact I'll never run a 160 t-stat in a street car again gas or e-85