600 bucks for repair??????

S

Sleeper87

I had a problem wit my 1 year garentteed motor it wont start easy...sounds like a dead spot in the starter or something and then backfires sometimes....while starting....goes RRRaaa rrraaa rraaaa then rr rr rr rr....so i brought it back to the dealership cause its underwarrenty they said its a bad Ignition Module and a bad Crank Angle Sensor.....They said 600 total, labor, and parts...is this bad? Sounds outragious to me....someone tell me my alternatives...can i do the work myself if so where can i get the parts cheap...thanks...
Sleeper87

This a TR???? If the car runs, I don't see how it could be the crank sensor. And I'm thinking probably not the ignition module. It sounds to me like the cam sensor isn't adjusted properly. That's the exact symptoms of that. Personally, I would go back to that dealership and LAUGH at them and tell them they are retards. Almost like the dealers that try to give $500 for a trade in on a mint GN by calling it a "regal".... This is just what "I" would do. Who knows, maybe a TR can run with a bad crank pos. sensor, but I haven't seen it done!!! :) And $600!?!?!?!?!? WTF!!!! Crank sensor takes 10 minutes IF your SLOW to replace and cost about $15. the ignition module takes another 10 minutes and I'm not sure of the price, but probably around $100 or so....

Damn, I'm in the WRONG profession if these dealers really charge THAT much for labor!!!! That's what, about $250 and hour for labor! But YES, I did once pay over $100 for a dealership to reconnect the wastegate hose on my car when I first got it. :(

Derrick

O i forgot to mention that it ONLY does this when its warmed up....If its been sittin overnight or for a while it will start fine....but after a little hammering on it and it gives you the old......RRRAAA RRRRAAAAA RRAAAA RRR RR RR RR R.......any ideas??? When u 1st start it in the morning u sometimes get some Black *fuel* smoke for a quick startup puff.....Any ideas...i read the gnttype.org about camshaft sensors and it sounds like it...But that stupid dealership says its the crank angle sensor whatsup.......???HELP ME B4 i get RAPED BYE the DEALERSHIP
Sleeper87

if thats the case sounds like you got an injector leaking down...

put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if it starts dropping when you turn it off.

If I were you, I would seriously take the car down to Cotton's and let him go over it completely.

I am sure from all the happy customers he will treat you fairly and for $600 you will get a lot of satisfaction. Seems like you are having more than one problem and need more help than the board and certainly the dealer can give you. :(

Just my .02.

How do you think those new car dealers get those big facilities to sell and repair cars? They do a constant line of legally robbing everyone who walks through their front door.

If you give your car to these people to repair it (actually they really don't have a clue), you deserve what you get!

dealers

My 2 cent:
Never, Never take your car to a dealer, there is TOO many bad stories about there work, and return the car for the same problems. I have friends that work at these places and make very good money, they are clueless when it comes to TR's.

They are very over priced and will tell you any thing to do worthless work on your car.

Two questions: how old is the starter ???
Were are you in the beautiful state of Maine ??

good luck

Your cam sensor could be out of adjustment.

You can also do a voltage drop test on the starter wires. If it checks out, you could have a weak starter

I second the motion of Turbo Jim. A fellow GN owner I met, had a similiar issue. Check your cam sensor. Buy the Caspers cam sensor tool. I loaned it to the guy and he fixed the problem. He called me the same night and was estatic. Better than volting out. A light comes on and...Bam, you're right on the money. Also check your fuel pressure at the gage.

Hey Red and Speednv6, What exactly does it mean when your fuel pressure drops down to 0 when you turn the motor off? And how do you correct it? I noticed mine has this problem.

I guess when you shut off 12V to your pump, it doesn't hold the pressure. A friend of mine had one of those Walbros installed and he had the same problem. If that's your problem, I'm sorry but don't know the cure.

Actually, a quick fuel pressure drop after shutdown is usually the sign of a dirty or bad injector. I had the same prob with my 86 right after I bought it. Swapped the injectors out and the problem went away. Usually it occurs to an injector(s) that has a small piece of something stuck in it, keeping it from completely closing during it's off cycle. It'll also cause a slight drop in fuel milage due to the uneven spray pattern it causes.

not too hard to pin point the pressure loss..

where the fuel lines go from the frame to the motor there is a rubber section you can turn the pump on and clamp off both fuel lines with vise grips
if the pressure stays up at the motor then you know its not an injector

then if still holding release one of the vise grips and see if it drops then if its the return line and the pressure drops its in the regulator causing the problem
if still dont drop release the other visegrips on the feed line and if it drops then its the fuel pump

Guys stay away from the dealership with your TR's. You should see some of the crap I have had to repair that the dealership screwed up. They don't have a clue!