60' time on 16" wheels vs 15" wheels

GSX-PKV

I had 27" tall MT drag radials on 15" wheels and in 70° weather had mid 1.5 60 ft times. I went with 16" wheels with 28" tall M&H drag radials and in 93° weather at the BPG event last weekend had 1.8 60 ft times. I wonder if it was the 16" wheels, the tires or the hot track and weather that contributed to almost .3 slower 60 ft times.

I've pulled 1.51 with the 16" M+H radials.

About 2 weeks ago I was using the same tires and pulled a 1.76 on a car with a stock D5 torque converter and a TA49.

Can't complain.

I think that as long as the overall tire/wheel combo diameter is the same, there shouldn't be a significant difference. The only slight disadvantage of the 16" wheel over the 15" would be a little less sidewall...

Claude. :wink:

On my car, the best 60' I've gotten was a 1.575 on a 275/60/15 (28") MT DR. I used to run a 255/50/16 MT DR on my street GTA wheels and got a 1.585 60' out of those. Same suspension setup. So not much difference on my car.

Taller sidewall ratio allows more contact area per given amount of air.
Same situation when running on a dirt or sand surface.
Ever wonder why the pro's have no use for low profile wheels?

Picture your foot being run over by a (high profile) fat or (low profile) thin tire combination
(although I'd rather not be subjected to either). The higher profile combination will spread
the load over a larger (contact) area, equating to (slightly) better traction.

I was at the bpg also and my car was also slower in the 60ft. I usually go 1.45 & at the bpg I was in the mid to high 1.5's. I think it was the track, to hot and humid.

Good input from everyone. It was VERY hot! I'll go to the Midwest Challenge later this month and try again in better weather. Thanks, Paul

Don't think it was the wheel. In my C5 I would 60' low 1.5x on a 17" et street.