5k mile 86 worth?

richardv6

i found a 86 gn with only 5,000 miles on it. Bumper fillers need replacing but rest car is mint. What's a safe value on this car?

If it is mint its easly in the low 20k range as a buyer. 25k and up after the fillers are replaced.
This is just what I have followed the past few years.

Let us know???

the valve on such a low mileage car is in the documentation, one owner? history of the car since new . the more the better he should be able to prove the mileage is correct if original should have a lot of original parts hoses clamps etc.. on it.If I was paying that much for one I'd want proof it was correct.

My biggest concern would be buying a 29 year old car with 5,000 miles. I'd want to see very detailed maintenance records spanning the lifetime of the car before I would want it at any price it's likely to sell at. It's almost guaranteed that car has sat for long periods of time (years) without being touched. It's going to need a lot of work to make it reliable. It's one thing to go through that headache with a GNX. But with a GN, you have to ask yourself why bother. If you want a nice, original car to keep stock, save yourself some time and headache and buy a car with 20,000 miles or so that has been very well taken care of. It won't look any different except for the odometer. Just my 2 cents as the previous owner of a sub 1,000 mile TTA not too long ago.

My biggest concern would be buying a 29 year old car with 5,000 miles. I'd want to see very detailed maintenance records spanning the lifetime of the car before I would want it at any price it's likely to sell at. It's almost guaranteed that car has sat for long periods of time (years) without being touched. It's going to need a lot of work to make it reliable. It's one thing to go through that headache with a GNX. But with a GN, you have to ask yourself why bother. If you want a nice, original car to keep stock, save yourself some time and headache and buy a car with 20,000 miles or so that has been very well taken care of. It won't look any different except for the odometer. Just my 2 cents as the previous owner of a sub 1,000 mile TTA not too long ago.
Totally agree!!

it is a one owner car since new ,and I see your point about a low mile car .I made a reasonable offer on the car what I thought it would be worth but he is high on it based on its condition.just curious on what others thought it be worth

As the original owner, and again having dealt with original owners previously (as recently as 2012), I can tell you that you will not be getting any sort of a deal on that car. To him, it's worth thousands more because he drove it off the lot back in 1986.

You really can't expect any useful information on the value of the car based on the info you have provided. I have seen ratted out sub-10,000 mile cars, and 50,000 mile cars that looked like they belonged in a showroom. You said it's in mint condition. And then you said his price is high based on it's condition. Sounds like you've answered your own question to me.

86 GN sold with 16k miles on it....$28,800
87 GN sold with 1400 miles on it......$40,000

Those are two cars I personally know that sold for those values.

So honestly that 86 with 5k if it's in great shape I would say would be around $30k. Don't know what the low ballers here are thinking saying low 20s :rolleyes:

86 GN sold with 16k miles on it....$28,800
87 GN sold with 1400 miles on it......$40,000

Those are two cars I personally know that sold for those values.

So honestly that 86 with 5k if it's in great shape I would say would be around $30k. Don't know what the low ballers here are thinking saying low 20s :rolleyes:

With or without the fillers being fixed 28k or more. The market has changed.

Pete