5 speed automatic

ricturbo

Is there a 5 or 6 speed auto trans that will fit these car maybe out of fire bird ext?<or would it be better to rebuild my 4 speed ? 3 gear is slipping would the tv cable make third slip?

With the torque these things make, there's no need for more than 3 gears (plus OD)...

Is there a 5 or 6 speed auto trans that will fit these car maybe out of fire bird ext?<or would it be better to rebuild my 4 speed ? 3 gear is slipping would the tv cable make third slip?

Yes there is. TCI makes a 6 speed automatic that will fit but the price is $6K for it.

Cost is steep though so how bad do you want it?

Yes there is. TCI makes a 6 speed automatic that will fit but the price is $6K for it.

Cost is steep though so how bad do you want it?
You'll need an adapter for that glorified 4l80e. And the rest of the hassles if installing one. 2004r is much easier imo. But there is a need or no one would build it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

what would make the third slip ? maybe the tv cable is damaged ? or have I burnt out the clutches for the third? anymone had that problem befor all the other gears seam strong even 4th.

If tv cable isn't adjusted correctly, it could cause probs.
Miles, run hard, been slipping long? Probably not going to get better without an overhaul.

If tv cable isn't adjusted correctly, it could cause probs.
Miles, run hard, been slipping long? Probably not going to get better without an overhaul.

it was soft shifting in to third and over drive for about 2 mths then I messed with tv but it was either very hard shift high rpms I would move just very little and it was soft again. Now when I hammer it alittle rpms and boost shoot up and feels like slipping. do you think it needs rebuilt and if so is it very hard to do myself?

If a set of clutches are burnt the fluid will have burnt smell to it. You don't need a highly trained nose, but it helps. I would fool around with the TV cable, I replaced mine and 1-2 felt soft but 2-3 would slip. Adjusted the cable and shifts got better with no slip.

Sent from my A110

Just to clarify, the "car" is a Turbo Regal with the stock TV setup, correct?

The TV setup should be adjusted to give maximum "pull" at full throttle. The geometry of the stock setup should give correct and needed line rise at the rest of the throttle positions. The TV cable isn't intended to be shift adjustment tool. The line pressures are critical for trans life and a lack of pressure will cause problems. If you have it adjusted for less that full pull, the rest of the pressures will be lower too.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/tvcable.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transpage.html

As far as doing the over haul yourself, that depends on your skill level, tool selection or desire to purchase/borrow what is needed, and if you have a place to do the work. I didn't find the work particularly difficult. It was handy to have my son help with some of the heavy lifting. I put a thread with pix over in the trans section of ihadav8.com if you are interested. There are plenty of gurus here that willingly answer questions.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/200rebld.html
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0

If you don't try it you never will be able. I bought the ck book, an atsg manual, and did a bunch of reading here and around the interwebz. Lots of info out there, not all agrees, but the 2004r can be built to handle the lc2, you just have to have the right combo of parts and knowledge.

86 turbo. It has the stock set up now ,but I purchaced a after market one from someone on site just not tryed it yet .tv cable

The stock setup should work fine. As with anything 25 years old it probably has wear. The only way to measure is a gauge to the trans and some testing. The pressures can be raised with larger boost valves and different pressure regulator springs. I am assuming yours are stock.

Yours as a brf code trans should be higher than these. but this gives you an idea.