4x10's Suck

Even a run of the mill 6x9" will sound better than the best 4x10" available, just use an adapter plate available at any car stereo shop.

I like the stuff from Cerwin Vega and Rockford Fosgate, just be careful that the speaker depth isn't so great that the magnets hit the torsion bars for the deck lid. I'm running CV Stealth Series 6x9"s, they have zero clearance problems & sound great for the money.

Doug C.

Eclipse 4X10

Check out a pair od Eclipse 4X10's. They mount perfectly, and sound as good if not better than most 6x9's. I dont get all the ppl that say 4x10's suck. There are some damn good ones out there, and eclipse makes some real good ones.

I also have the eclipse 3.5's up front and they are amazing. I have some perifial crossovers on the 3.5's and 4x10's and they are great.

4x10" will sound thinner than 6x9". It doesn't matter much if you listen to AM or talk radio, but if you want some resembelence of bass, a speaker shaped like a horn tweeter isn't going to do the job you'll be proud of. I haven't seen an infinity 4x10", although they do make alot of smaller sizes that sound great.

I dont get all the ppl that say 4x10's suck. There are some damn good ones out there, and eclipse makes some real good ones.

I've heard just about every available 4x10" (Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse. etc..) side-by-side with a wide variety of 6x9"s & in all but the cheapest speakers (Jensen, Pyramid, etc...) the 6x9"s sounded much better every time.

I will admit the eclipse's have great highs & solid upper/mid bass response, but they just don't have the cone area & evenly distributed axis (fairly close ratio of the speaker cone's width measured across the center of the woofer in a + pattern, the closer this is to being equal the better the bass response; speaker size taken into consideration of course :) ) to keep up with a quality 6x9"s mid/low bass performance.

Doug C.

Yes I agree If you are running only 6x9's or 4x10's for bass. 6x9's have better bass. But what I'm saying is in my system I have 2 JL W3 10's that produce all my bass. My 4x10's are only for highs, and they are crystal clear. When I just had the 3.5's and the 4x10's hooked up with no subs or bass blockers I was impressed by the bass from the 4x10's. I know 6x9's have more "lows" but for a 4x10 they were very impressive.

just my .02

Instead of 4 x10's why not just put a pair of 4's there. The vacated 4x10 space will let more bass energy into the cabin. I did this and it made a big difference. Get some 4" pvc pipe and enclose the 4's. Still get plenty of midrange in back and a ton more bass.

I too have 4 x10's instead of 6 x9's. I have Pioneer 4x10's and they sound great and i also got decent bass from them before i put in my single 12. I had high quality pioneer 6 x9's in my cutlass and they weren't any better than the 4 x 10's in my SS

I have the pioneer 4x10's also. Sound pretty good, hooked up to my Alpine V12 amp. Of course I have the x-over turned so the 4x10's won't get anything under 120Hz. If you want bass, get a sub and forget about the 6x9's.

The best sounding speakers I've heard, was a pair of 4x10's in the dash of my friends fiero paired with a cheap pyramid amp. That and the single 8" sub was the best sounding system I had heard! (Most likely the very small interior space had something to do with it, but that thing was extremely clear and would hurt your ears)