4l80E swap info

ATS666

I am getting a transmission, converter, dipstick and tube, wiring harness and computer, trans yoke from a 94 diesel truck (and anything else I want from it).

I am installing in a non computer controlled vehicle (81 monte).

I figure I will need a TPS, aftermarket trans tail stock to use my mechanical speedo.

what software and wiring will I need to change shift point and line pressures or do i need to burn a chip to change this stuff?

Anything else i should know?
What flexplate do i need to bolt the converter to?

I know I need to grind part of the case and pound the floor abit for clearance. I figure I will also cut off the ears so i dont need to remove my long tube headers for R&R'ing it.

Thanx

there is a company out there called baumann engineering that has some of the best programmers out there for this application.they will provide wiring,ecm,sensors etc.do a search.the 94 model is very durable .the thing to remember is the rear of the transmission will contact the floor and pose a problem.you must tip the engine and trans down at the rear slightly.we did this with an sbc in an 88 montess gbody by redrilling the holes in the mounts and lowering the mounting pad on the x member.good luck.

they can tell you where to get it.i believe it is also available thru gm.we dropped it 1 inch.x member bolted to bottom of channel also.mounts were good ,just raised the hole in the engine mounts which lowers the engine.some other tweaks also

Originally posted by chris718
just raised the hole in the engine mounts which lowers the engine.some other tweaks also

Can you explain that differentally? I cant quite picture it at the moment. maybe I will be able to if I look at the car but wont be doing that for acouple of days.

Do ya happen to remember what other tweaks were involved?

Here's a picture of my 4L80E in an 81 G-Body:

4dr_4l80e_w_mechspeedoadapterwnotes.jpg

With the G-Force crossmember, I actually had to add spacers to raise the rear of the tranny nearer to the bottom of the floor on the car.

With the tranny mods shown, this is an easy swap. I also had to modify my shift linkage, here:

4dr_trannylinkagemods4_text.jpg

I am running the GMPP harness and tranny computer, which is made by TCI and comes with the T-Com software. You can control most functions of the tranny with the software and a laptop.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Jim

PS Notice the mechanical speedo tailpiece on the tranny - also available from TCI. Hooks right up to your stock tranny cable.

Any one know if its possible to get the stock diesel trans computer reprogramed?

I have read on the net that its possibe but didn't give any links on what places actually do it. I dont remember the link where I got the info from but do remember it was an olds site. thanx for listening to my ramblings LOL

Originally posted by ATS666
Any one know if its possible to get the stock diesel trans computer reprogramed?

I have read on the net that its possibe but didn't give any links on what places actually do it. I dont remember the link where I got the info from but do remember it was an olds site. thanx for listening to my ramblings LOL

If you go with a 91 GM 454 truck pcm, ie the 16147060, then www.tunercat.com can supply you with a editor. You'd then need to get a chip burner and a few chips. Other then the trans connections, all I *think* it needs is the TPS, and rpm reference.

I have a 91 truck, with the 7060 pcm, and the tranny stuff was easy to edit with the Tunercat stuff.

Well I was supposed to get the trans and everything out of the truck today but it wasn't delievered to my shop cuz the was too hung over to drive his tow truck today.

Hopefully this week I will be able to get everything out of the truck.

Who sells the modified tail shaft for use with a mecanical speedo?

I am really hoping to get this out of the truck on sat so i can start screwing around more. I figure why take my trans out when i dont have the new one yet......

Update?

This is a great, but old, post on 4L80E fitment.

I'm just about to order one from CK-- Chris or others have other comments on fabrication that would be needed?

Chris mentioned some mods to the case, I'm guessing that's the ear pictured above.

I am confident the mods to the case are the same.Like anything custom always except to do some minor tweaking.I can put you in contact with people who have done it when you are ready.A guy in Jerset contacted me a few weeks ago about this swap.Is this who is doing it for you?It could be someone else.

I am confident the mods to the case are the same.Like anything custom always except to do some minor tweaking.

Just wanted to thank Chris for his willingness to talk on the phone and provide a great deal of technical input.

I ordered the 4L80E from CK today and can't wait to get her up and running this spring. If you're looking for one I'd call CK before anyone else-- he had answers where others had rough opinions!

Scott