4L60E Problem

boostmaster

Hi guys, I have a 97 Blazer with a 4L60E that has a delayed 1st gear upshift and then shifts right to 3rd gear. It has no 2nd, no manual 2nd either. It does have 4th. I thought it might be the band but it has 4th and I know the band is applied in 2nd and 4th. I checked and replaced the scarf seals on the servo and checked the 1-2 accumulator which I flipped over and installed a stiffer spring. Same results. Solenoids are good and it doesn't slip but shift into 4th is a little soft. Valve body problem or am I in need of a rebuild?

Thanks in advance, Pete

How do you know the solenoid is good.
It is a holiday weekend. Not everyone lives on here.
Might have a worn band prob or a glazed drum . Much harder to clamp 2nd and you say 4th is soft. Lots of miles/towing? Towing in o/d?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Also uses the 3/4 clutches in 4th, so my money is on the band. It is common and rebuild time.

I guess everybody doesn't live on here LIKE THEY USED TO holiday weekend or not. Hell even I rarely come on that much anymore. But I'm still grateful for any help that I can get. I tested the solenoids with the pan off that's how I know they are no bad. Even though they tested good I put 2 new ones in anyway since they only cost 10.00 at the local trans parts supply house. Besides 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids are both on in 1st and 1 is on and 2 is off in 2nd. They couldn't be bad if I got 1st and 3rd since that requires the use of both solenoids. I figured the band might be on its way out because the servo cover had sooo much travel when I pushed it in to remove the clip. I was thinking of putting a longer pin on the servo to help it live a little longer what are the thoughts on that? Or maybe Super Servo?This is a 4x4 and a real pain to R&R.

There's no bandaid for a fix, band is worn drum is glazed, only gonna get worse. Yup I hate blazer and I have lifts at my house, on my back no way.

Pull a 4l80 and a np246, you'll like the blazer.
I'd put in the longer pin and take up the slack and see. Cheaper than a full build for now.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I have a lift in my garage also but no heat or insulation in my steel building. It's collllldddd out there, plus I've gotten lazy in my years. I'll try the longer pin first.

Yes it's the band and the reverse drum is prob bad too. Time for rebuild. With a scan tool you can check the solenoid real easily. More than likely you would have some kind of code if there was a issue with it. And as long as it's being commanded and actuating its good.

I would check the separator plate more than likely the check balls have already smashed a dimple and are getting stuck, easy fix just get a new plate and install. This is a common failure on the 4L60E transmissions.

There's only one that has a problem getting stuck in the plate1-2 ball. Fluid would be burnt up.

Hi guys, I have a 97 Blazer with a 4L60E that has a delayed 1st gear upshift and then shifts right to 3rd gear. It has no 2nd, no manual 2nd either. It does have 4th. I thought it might be the band but it has 4th and I know the band is applied in 2nd and 4th. I checked and replaced the scarf seals on the servo and checked the 1-2 accumulator which I flipped over and installed a stiffer spring. Same results. Solenoids are good and it doesn't slip but shift into 4th is a little soft. Valve body problem or am I in need of a rebuild?

Thanks in advance, Pete
1-2 shift valve stuck or 1-2 shift solenoid not working.

Forward , 3-4 and band are all applied in forth. You can have a burnt band and still have 4rth. The last 4l65e I built last week in a 06 hummer had same problem. The band is applying but to much clearance.

Put a longer pen in and adjusted for proper piston travel and problem solved. At least temporarily, we'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks to all that replied, Pete

Much cheaper than a rebuild at least for a while. Good you made it last a little longer.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app