4L60e or 4L80E

Silentway

My trans is shot and I want to move away from the 200 as I am going to do a LSX swap eventually. I want to know which is better to install a 4L80E or 4L60E? If there is a tread I missed please refer me or give me a breakdown of whats needed to mount these units. Also any tips of any does and don'ts. I don't car about ET or extra weight, I'm just dont want the worries of the 200 anymore. Last question do I still need a trans cooler?

Thanks

Last edited:
You could just get the billet bellhousing adapter form Lonnie at Extreme Automatics and keep your 2004R.

I thought about it but why I dont want the 200 headache anymore, I just want to drive.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Do you have a way to control the trans if going to one of those choices?
Who is building the 2004r that you are having worries about it? How fast are you going now, and how fast do you have your goals set for?

Plenty of cars in the 9s n 10s using the 2004r. Just seems like a lot of headache to swap trans and add a way to control it. I know the 4l60e will require an adapter to bolt to engine, shortened drive shaft, different dipstick tube and either moving crossmember or an adapter there as that is what mine used when I had a 700r4 in it. The electronic aspect adds the control issues. 4l80e is heavier and I'm sure would require the same things to get it in there.
I went back to the 2004r but its your money. Looking at the advances in parts you can build a pretty stout unit and forgo the swap headache.
Your call.

4L60 is junk...period. A new version of the 700...garbage. They are Street Rod transmissions at best.
The 80 is probably the toughest tranny your gonna find. Depending on what your build you can do it a few different ways. You can add a way to control it. or you can go to ROSSLER TRANSMISSIONS, in Girard, Ohio, and get his little black box. It makes the 80 perform like a 400. You dont need any controller to run it. Rossler is the King of Big Power trannys.

I did a price ck on the 80 w/controller was 7k w/o the cost of the required mod's. Lonnies stage III was less than half of the 80 and doesn't require any mod's. It's rated to 1k hp, also. Graet trans.

You won't need a full built 80. A few upgrades and the Rossler box to eliminate the controller....and call it good.
I got a Rossler manual shift 80 behind my blown 409 and it didn't need a ton of parts.
The 80 is strong...period

I thought about it but why I dont want the 200 headache anymore, I just want to drive.

If you don't want the 200 headache than the 700 /4l60 is certainly not for you!
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the approach/solution with the torque convertor for the 3.8 and the 4L80E?

What is the approach/solution with the torque convertor for the 3.8 and the 4L80E?

From what Dusty Bradford has said before, the selection is limited/very difficult to do a V6 and 4L80e.

From what Dusty Bradford has said before, the selection is limited/very difficult to do a V6 and 4L80e.

I called Hughes Performance a couple months ago to see if i could use the Hughes Built 4l80e trans that's in my truck in a GN
(I was thinking about pulling the motor to drop in a Duster ) he said they have an adaptor for $105.00 to mate up the 4l80 with the buick 3.8 .
They specialize in 4l80e trans + have adaptors and/or bellhousings to install them in almost anything,mine is in (of all things) a dodge pickup hooked up to a 360 magnum .
The truck has a pretty nasty motor + it kept blowing up the Dodge trannys,so the previous owner put the Hughes 4l80e trans in it, it has 20k+ miles now without a problem, it has a tci controller and it works like a dream.
This tranny is good for about 1000 hp.

http://www.hughesperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=63

OP, you have some pretty good parts on your mods and a PTC to boot. I would send the 200 off to any of the top builders on this board and have it rebuilt properly. When you go do your LS transplant, and decide to sell your 200, flash your paperwork of the build and the company behind it will carry the value of the resale. Some builders even give discounts to freshen up their own products. If you did get a 4l80 it won't be cheap, you will have to get rid of a broken 200, have a few modifications with adapters and black boxes that you won't need when you switch over.

For a driver, converter selection is easy. It's when guys are putting 70mm or larger turbos on cars and trying to run low 10's or faster is when it gets more difficult. They get very difficult to spool without slipping terribly in high gear.

I was inquiring about a driver car. So is the 13 inch 4L80e converter modified or is there an off the shelf replacment?

Thanks everyone for your opinions and information, its been most helpful. I think I'll give one of our well noted tranny builders from the site a call.

Thanks again fellas