4L60E build tips

matt69olds

Ain’t no feeling like Oldsmobling!
Once again, I come to dip my cup in the well of knowledge! What are the expert opinions on the load release springs on the 3-4 clutch in the 700-4l60/4l60E trans? The ATSG book says eliminated them, trans-go says leave them in, and I have used several of the Alto Powerpack 3-4 clutch kits that prevent installation (no windows in the steels for the springs to sit) and have also seen the steels with room for them. As much as GM pinches pennies, if they weren't needed I cant imagine they would spend the money to install them.

Whats the opinion on reducing the orifice size in the reverse input piston? What about grinding the flats on the PR valve? Any other tech tips? Thanks!

Keeps them from applying during hi rpm under centrifugal force. Have had a few, long ago, show up with glazed clutches and installing the springs eliminated the concern. I always put them in. GM doesn't spend money on those kind of parts if they weren't needed for some reason. Like the little air deflector in a Q-Jet between the primary and secondary. Seen plenty of those thrown away and trouble when secondaries start to open. I leave the pressure regulator valve alone (no grinding) and have zero issues with converter charge. I also leave the feed alone so as not to have a slow engagement into reverse. Have had to rectify a few that took a good 2 seconds to grab reverse when it used to be instant. People like to know that reverse is there when they move the shifter. Not a little later.

I would recommend to always reinstall the 3-4 release springs, I know that there are many different clutch materials/clutch disc amounts(number of discs) available,
I have had the best results with what is called the "Hi-Energy" kits with the thick steels, gray metalic in color.
I also remove and discard the case capsule/check ball and install a 3/8 expansion plug in it's place(must be seated above the servo bore opening) I do this on both 200-4R and 700R4/4L60 etc.
I have found these capsules to be problematic in sealing off the servo release side hydralics resulting in direct clutch failures in the 200's and 3-4 clutch failures in the 700 series.
Good luck,

Kevin.