400,starting in 2nd? wtf

bluchev

ok so a buddy of mine took his car to the track this weekend and got off a few passes without any drama. then came the 4th pass, no 1st gear. he told me that he could drive around the pits in 2nd and downshift and there would be no gear reduction, no rpm rise. when leavin the line the converter would flash to 3800 and his 60 ft was 1.65.- i havent driven the car but he says it just leaves the line like a pooch.

its a 540bbc with a turbo 400 forward manual valve body with a neal chance 4500 stall converter- around 850 hp n/a.

im tryin to rack my brain as to what could be going on, but im not comin up with anything. the trans still has stock clutches in it with an updated sprag.

any ideas?:confused: im gonna have him pull it out when he gets back in town.

could also be no 2nd. Roll the sprag and you have 1st in both positions.

I have a very similar problem. Manual v-body w/brake. It will only shift once. When in first, it feels like second, doesn't want to boost up and leaves like a turd also. We took it apart, changed the rear sprag, checked v-body for leaks. Still the same. Let us all know what you find out. Thanks. Howard.

could also be no 2nd. Roll the sprag and you have 1st in both positions.

i was also thinking this, because if he was actually leaving in 2nd i dont think his 60 ft would be as good as it is. he supposedly already checked the linkage and its right on.

If the forward clutch is on its in first gear. We know this because the car goes forward. You would need the 2nd clutches on and sprag holding to be in 2nd. If the sprag was locked up then the car would be in 2nd and lock up on the 2-3 shift and would not have reverse it would just lock up. So my bet is sprag is rolled.:frown:

well see thats the funny thing because it doesnt lock up. he ran the thing down the track to a 9.43 at 145 mph :confused:

If it is a fpfm valve body that uses the shift valves duruing upshifts check to make sure the 1/2 shift valve is not stuck in the upshifted position.This could be your problem.The guy driving would or should know by the burnout if it is in 1st or 2nd gear.