400 driveshaft length

kingots2004

109 block, hr parts motor mounts,stock rearend. want to put a 400 in it. ive searched but i cant seem to find what im looking for. what length driveshaft?

109 block, hr parts motor mounts,stock rearend. want to put a 400 in it. ive searched but i cant seem to find what im looking for. what length driveshaft?

my guess would be that if the 400 is a short shaft then it would be the same length as a regal with a 350 turbo tranny in it

stock is 51.5 center of ujoint-center of ujoint
most posts here on the subject claim 1/2-3/4 shorter than stock,or even none , every car is a little different

my aftermarket shaft for 200-4r trans ( hr mounts, stock control arms, 8.5 rear ) was 51 ctr-ctr, when i did the swap only snag was i didnt have the hr trans mount so i had to elongate the 200 stock trans mount holes and the exhaust hanger holes ...and with the car on a lift and rear hanging I couldn't get the rear ujoint into the pinion yoke ,the spline end of the 400 yoke was bottoming out inside the trans so i had to trim the yoke a little , when its loaded on the tires the shaft is moved out of the trans and it probably would have worked fine without a little trim but I didnt want to have to worry about every time the car went on the lift , . ....

with a stock shaft im sure the shaft would have needed shortening
if i was going to do a another 400 shaft for stock 50.5 would be were i'd make it , but its always best to measure as every car is different and depending on yokes your length will vary, get the trans yoke ,put it in the trans fully and pullout 1" and with rear axle in normal ride position measure to whatever pinion yoke you're using

yeah i know measuring would be best i just dont have anywhere local to get a balanced driveshaft made and didnt want my car sitting at my buddies shop for a week or two while one is being madeand shipped.pacecarta what kind of yolk did you use? gm or aftermarket?

sorry i posted this in the wrong forum could someone move it to the trans section for me i just realized i put it in the general section. thanks

I was just in the same situation as you are. I decided to go with Dynotech Engineering and had an aluminum one made. Using their measuring guide mine came to 53 5/8"

Ordered the driveshaft on Thursday - it shipped on Friday. It looks too nice to go under my car!
IMG_3600.jpg

it cant be longer
the number he sent in was the one from tail of trans to yoke at rear 53 5/8 which is how most shaft makers want you to measure ,they take that and take into account the yoke and slip in distance and make the appropriate shaft .
the stock yoke is approx 2.25 " from where the trans seal is from ujoint center,

my guess is his shaft is 51 1/2" nearly as long as stock , if he got the forged yoke that is 1" longer than std yoke so shaft might be 50 1/2 center ujoint-center ujoint

also keep in mind if your trans isnt a BOP housing youll need an adapter plate which will make shaft even shorter

scoooter3800
what is the measure center of ujoint to center of ujoint?
have you tried it on your car?

pacecarta,

Center-to-center it measures 51"

The slip yoke that was on the driveshaft was too long for me. My options were get the yoke counterbored or shorten the yoke. I chopped 2" off the yoke and it works good. I also took the tailhousing off and installed the driveshaft to see how much of the splines on the output shaft are engaged. I have about a 1/4" of the splines showing with the car at ride height - could have cut less off, but it should work just fine.

Can't drive the car yet...waiting on a downpipe :rolleyes:

There are two different output shafts on the 400. A car version and a truck version. If you look into the hole of the output shaft on the 400 and you see it's threaded, then you a truck version outshaft.

There is something on the truck output shaft that prevents the yoke from sliding further in. If you have the truck version, then the yoke needs to be machined.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com