4 killed at Tenn. Cars for Kids accident

Hacksaw

Car in Tenn. parade hits crowd, kills 4

2 minutes ago

A drag-racing vehicle lost control during a parade and spun into a crowd of bystanders on Saturday night, killing four adults and injuring up to 15 people, authorities said.

Investigators were trying to determine what caused the vehicle to careen into the crowd at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis.

Scott Henley, of Selmer, witnessed the accident and said the vehicle started burning off its tires, then began to fishtail and slammed into a light pole before spinning around into the audience.

Selmer Police Chief Neal Burks said, "bodies were flying into the air when it happened."

Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Browning said at least eight people were taken to three different hospitals in the region.

The identities of the victims and the driver, or the driver's condition, were not immediately known after the accident.

Browning said the vehicle has been described as a drag racing car, but he did not have more details yet about the vehicle.

McNairy County sheriff's officials and Selmer police began to close down the festival shortly after the accident. About 40,000 to 60,000 people were expected to attend the weekend event.

Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 per year for charities that help children in need, according to the charity's Web site.

Cars for Kids was formed in 1990, two years after founder Larry Price's son, Chad, was in a bicycle accident and suffered a severe head injury.

Price promised that if his son was saved from lifelong injuries, he would spend the rest of his life raising funds for disabled children, according to the Web site.

Price could not be reached for comment on Saturday night.

Probably one of the type of people who get too heavy on the gas pedal when they have a crowd of people watching. I notice that even at local cruise nights, any other decent performance car that comes driving down the street has to go roaring past just to get everyone to look.

That is just stupid. A 200mph burnout with people standing on either side of the street. What an idiot.

No doubt this guy is up for vehicular manslaughter ! Make's you think twice beore showing off :(

im sorry but that guys a F@#$%@%@ IDIOT!!! - WTF was he thinking! when i first heard he was doin a burnout i was thinking how can you lose control in a couple of feet... then i saw the video and he was doin a "REAL" burnout like he was warming up to make a pass.:eek: people just dont think. I had to cuss out a Jackass for doin a burnout while trying to show off for people. His ASS was 5 feet in front of my T [out of all cars a mustang, who figured:rolleyes:] and spit up all kinda rocks and rubber on my front end and hood. dont people know "regular" streets have all kinda debris [glass, rocks, etc] That guy was an idiot when he first started lighting up the tires:mad: - I HATE HOW ONE JACKA$$ CAN MAKE ALL RACERS/HI PERF ENTHUSIASTS LOOK LIKE ASSES I always see NEWS stories here in St. Louis where stupid MF'ers are racing in congested, crowed streets and wind up plowing into the side of an INNOCENT mini-van or something:mad: :mad: :mad: pisses me off.... sorry for the rant:redface:

I'm finding it hard to believe that someone could be so stupid. I'm hoping for his sake that something like a stuck throttle is what caused this.

This was an organized event. They've been doing this for quite a few years. The guy that holds it was the guy standing in the road with the coveralls on. He had his black Chevelle flamed on MuscleCars TV show.

Unless it's a stuck throttle, then this was reckless.

The people on the Real Olds Power Board have similar comments to what's been said here about this.

As much as the driver is at fault it seems like this was a planned part of the show and someone probably told him to do it. When the story first came out I figured it was just some idiot who decided to do it on his own, but judging by the fact that people were already lining the street with their cameras turned on, this was probably a planned part of the event, and the organizers probably asked this car to do a burnout.

But as others have said, there's a difference between a little tire smoke and a BURNOUT and this was obviously stupidity in action. Regular city road surfaces are too unpredictable to do crap like that.

:mad:

From the latest it was planned, but there was guard rails for only the first part of the road.:confused:

It was all screwed up, planners, driver, city, etc., IMHO.

I posted the news as a follow up in the National Racing section on this board.

Turbo6Chicago:
I know back 20+ years ago a Hot Rod Editor blew a gasket in an editorial in that magazine where some rodders were launching major burn outs on a crowded street one after another (cruise night?). His concern was if a blower or flywheel let loose what it could do to the crowd along the way.

But I don't remember him saying anything about loosing control. Yet, it DOES happen. I spoke to a guy years ago who was driving someone else's 427 Impala once. It was suggested to him to hold the throttle 1/2 way in when hitting 4th. He held it 3/4, and it went all over, somehow between the telephone poles on the side of the road without hitting them!

Royal-T-Ltd.:
You make some blunt but true comments. I almost got creamed in my '75 Olds Delta 88 one night decades ago when a guy doing about 120 went into a dry spin ALL over the freeway. I don't know how he didn't go through the guard rail or wrap it around a cement pylon.

:mad:

From the latest it was planned, but there was guard rails for only the first part of the road.:confused:

Yeah, the guard rail thing is what really has me baffled too. Can't believe they thought it would be safe for people to stand there un-protected. Hell, at the speed that car was going, a guard rail wouldn't have done too much either.

Seems like a typical thing to happen at a big event. Rushed plans, weren't throught through, wanted to entertain the crowd with some tire smoke, and forgot to do it safely. Just sad that this happened at an event that was trying to support life and good health.

Turbo6Chicago:
I know back 20+ years ago a Hot Rod Editor blew a gasket in an editorial in that magazine where some rodders were launching major burn outs on a crowded street one after another (cruise night?). His concern was if a blower or flywheel let loose what it could do to the crowd along the way.

Usually the threat of police is enough to keep drivers quiet at the local cruises around here, but sure enough usually one or two guys really put the pedal down when they pull out onto the street. I'm not perfect, sure every once-in-a-while I get on the gas a little and let people hear my car too, but never too crazy. There's families, children, and pets at most car shows, I don't want to be the one to hurt someone and have a crowd of people angry at me.

Thats a pro mod with Troy Chrichly driving hes austrailian not good for him or the sport.

They said the cops did not charge him with anything? :confused: I didnt see any plates on that car. try even a little burnout in your gn. congressional hearing!. I am sure the last thing he is worried about is a couple of tickets. that guy is a dumb azz. and pretty soon. a broke one . SAVE IT FOR THE DRAGSTRIP.

in the statement the one guy said he thought it was over and was going to cross the road,i wonder if thats what happened he saw someone in the road?