4" exhaust

Just to let you know before you get started. I made my own back in 1999 with a 4" 2 Chamber Flowmaster. Finally after 6 years parts got rusted. Replaced it with a 3" Single and a Magmaflow. And the Car is still going faster.
So you might be wasting your time. Hope for Brian it was well worth it....:)
Unless you have a Stage 1000 HP Motor............:confused:

Joe

Hey Joe, We must have run into each other ar Napierville, but I can't remember. I hang with a group of Dodge boys from the states( '68 Charger 9.96, '70 Superbee 11.20's, '67 Cuda 10.60's ). Anyhow, I believe you gained from changing out the Fowmaster mufflers, or in the change of design. I know a 4" is more than enough for most guys, but like you, my Jet Hot coated Kenne Bell 3" single rusted from the inside out after 14 years. I decided then, I would build an exhaust that would not rust, would not restrict down to the 8's, and would look and sound as good as it gets. After much brain picking ( alot of brains in the TR family ),this is what I came up with and i'm very pleased. I'm expecting 9's this year, so this is probably overkill, but it certainly won't ever hinder me, and in another 20 years, my son can put whatever he wants on it. Brian

if anyone is going to be making these-definently count me in for a sale!

The issue with production, is the fitment over the axle. It almost has to be a custom job to get the clearances correct. Maybe a system could be built with a pipe/muffler from the DP to the axle, and tail piece welded with hangers, and band clamps. The bends for the "over axle" portion could be supplied for the customer to cut and weld as needed.

how about a 3" dp-cat, then a 4" single exhaust cat back w/a single bullet(4") muffler & turn down before that axel, would that be too much? That would be enough for a ten second car correct? Im thinking thats wat I would like to do when I step up to a t66/67. I heard the 4" is needed when you start pushing around 900+ cfm's, and a t66/t67 easly does that, their both well over 1000 cfm capable im pretty sure.

darkside

Not only does increased diameter reduce flow resistance. Reduced piping length and less number of bends and the angles of the bends also reduces flow resistance. It is amazing how much one 90 degree bend can add to flow resistance.

I think I'm going to buy some 4in tubing and pre-made bends and slap together my own system. I'll have it dump before the axle for simplicity and best flow (not having to jump the axle). My dual 2.5in exhaust exits under the car right now anyway because I never bought tailpipes to finish my system.

I think I'm going to buy some 4in tubing and pre-made bends and slap together my own system. I'll have it dump before the axle for simplicity and best flow (not having to jump the axle). My dual 2.5in exhaust exits under the car right now anyway because I never bought tailpipes to finish my system.

Thats my plan and how my buddie did hit :)

Dumping before the axle will not flow better than over the axle, but it is certainly an easier way out, and less costly. Be carefull not to have the exhaust exit near the rear tire. If you lose a motor, guess where the fluids will go? Brian

Most states require that the exhaust system must exit after the cabin area ( which would place it behind the axle ). You might want to check this out if the ploice in your area are head hunters.

You'd be surprised how much one bend can change the flow of a pipe. The more angle or smaller the radius there is to the bend, the more resistance to flow.

I'm running a 5" pipe off the turbo with a short path exiting in front of the front tire. It extends past the front tire for safety reasons. As mentioned earlier, you don't want oil or water or both being dumped right in front of a tire. I had to put some bends in the pipe and even though the length is very short and the diameter large, the change in flow resistance was very noticeable.

4 inch exhaust

That is some nice work. Alot of time and skill involved in making it look that good. That is all RichieHighPsi ever talks about is this exhaust system.

Here is how the ricers do turbo and exhaust swaps :frown: :eek:

l_1ad961882d2a5457fcb57a18840b6a61.jpg

ddf35f86e06fb37cd0b9411b15fa1f9d.jpg

Donnie, My 3" single flowed only 12 cfm less than an open exhaust, and showed no MPH improvement at the track vs uncapped. This was only on a 130mph car. With a 4" it will be less for sure. If the bends are kept minimal, and gentle, there is not enough cfm loss to be concerned with. Certainly not enough to eliminate the balance of the exhaust going over the axle. What I was trying to say, was that flow loss ( if any ) would not be a good enough reason for me to dump it befroe the axle. Time, money, or abilty would be more justifiable. Brian

I'm not saying that someone should dump before or after the axle. I'm just adding in some facts and ideas. How you guys want to use it is up to you. Personally, for a street car, I would dump after the axle. You never know what people can come up with though. Who knows. Maybe someone will come up with a neat looking configuration that hasn't been thought of before. And is more efficient.

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes.