4" Cold air kit from TURBO REGAL CUSTOM PARTS

Thanks. It has been awhile since I created that site and I can't remeber my ID or Password.

I will try and get another site established with some pictures.

Okay, Its been reactivated.

Most of the mods have been removed so I could go for my smog test last Monday.

I am planning on selling the car after the 1st of the year, so I am not going to re-install all the goodes.

Click on any of the pictures to enlarge them. At the bottom of each picture is a few words about how to make one of these systems

I give up, only thing that makes since is old school mechanics, not phys or engineering for that matter.

Best regards,
Jason

As far as the bends restricting air flow, the biggest restriction is the MAF unless you have a true 4" diameter MAF. A 4" mandrel bent intake pipe will flow more air than the 3" or 3.5" MAF so with the 4" kit there is no restriction. Lower intake temps means less overall heat in the turbo, the IC and ultimately the intake and cylinders. IMO less heat always will result in more HP why else do the Mustang boys want to ice down their intakes :) Also that why my car always produces the most hp on colder days at the same humidity levels.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
As far as the bends restricting air flow, the biggest restriction is the MAF unless you have a true 4" diameter MAF. A 4" mandrel bent intake pipe will flow more air than the 3" or 3.5" MAF so with the 4" kit there is no restriction. The MAF is more restricting then the bends.

I agree with this point.

Lower intake temps means less overall heat in the turbo, the IC and ultimately the intake and cylinders. IMO less heat always will result in more HP why else do the Mustang boys want to ice down their intakes :) Also that why my car always produces the most hp on colder days at the same humidity levels.

The heat gained in drawing air in from the engine compartment is negligible next to the heat that results from the compression of the intake air in the turbo. The compression of the intake air is by far the leading factor in the increase of air temperature!!! The temp gain in the compressor, is far and above greater then the gain in non-CAI vs. CAI, the heat added to the turbo (heat sinking), and the heat conduction across the turbo that results exhaust gases. The reason why your car runs faster on a cold day is NOT due to the lower intake temp. It IS due to the greater delta “T” across the intercooler (temp difference)! The ice is the same point. Notist that both of these conditions are AFTER the compression in the turbo?!?!

Jason

uh huh

cold air thingys are a waste....the IC is where you want cold air!

Wow you guys, do me a favor from now on and don't give me any compliments on my products.:mad: :D

I've never made any horsepower increase claims about my kits. I take pride in making a product that fits nice and looks nice too. As far as making a complete cold air kit for $25 please tell me your secret.:)

I've been selling the Big Mouth kits for over 4 years now without any complaints. I made my first one for my GN because I didn't like the looks of the K&N under the hood where it just gets rubbed on by the AC lines. I also like the noise it makes by having the filter mounted outside the engine compartment. Whatever horsepower increase occurs is just a bonus. I don't believe having a 4" pipe before the MAF sensor is any kind of a restriction.:)

Why someone feels that they just have to come into the thread and turn it into their OPINION, is beyond me. Hmmm, physics, where is your test data. This thread was a guy saying he liked the product he recieved and not that he gained 90 RWHP and 127LBS/FT of torque so everyone better go buy this. Just simply that he was happy with it, as I was with mine, looks, fit, and even the fluttering noise.
Keep up the good work Mark.......

The other guy, why dont you just go start your own "Cold Air Kits Are Useless Thread" so if we are interested in how YOU feel about it, we can go read it in YOUR thread.
Good Day

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
Wow you guys, do me a favor from now on and don't give me any compliments on my products.:mad: :D

I've never made any horsepower increase claims about my kits. I take pride in making a product that fits nice and looks nice too. As far as making a complete cold air kit for $25 please tell me your secret.:)

I've been selling the Big Mouth kits for over 4 years now without any complaints. I made my first one for my GN because I didn't like the looks of the K&N under the hood where it just gets rubbed on by the AC lines. I also like the noise it makes by having the filter mounted outside the engine compartment. Whatever horsepower increase occurs is just a bonus. I don't believe having a 4" pipe before the MAF sensor is any kind of a restriction.:)

I also hate the way the K&N looks under the hood and your CAI kit looks awesome. I have the MAF tube and have already moved the canister over so I can install the rest of the kit. I have logged ,with my Turbolink, some very high IAT temps when sitting a light so I will be interested to see if there is any difference.

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I have logged ,with my Turbolink, some very high IAT temps when sitting a light so I will be interested to see if there is any difference.
On a 55-60 degree night at the track, after the burnout, I logged the IAT at 132 degrees w/o the CAI. With it, the temps are 66 degrees, a 66 degree difference. This will make some difference in the first 100 ft before air starts moving thru the IC. How much...who knows but it darn sure isn't hurting. I think the sound alone is enough to give you a big smile when passing on the freeway :D

On a 55-60 degree night at the track, after the burnout, I logged the IAT at 132 degrees w/o the CAI. With it, the temps are 66 degrees, a 66 degree difference. This will make some difference in the first 100 ft before air starts moving thru the IC. How much...who knows but it darn sure isn't hurting. I think the sound alone is enough to give you a big smile when passing on the freeway :D

Wow! I didn't know it would make that much of a difference. That is significant and real world experience. I appreciate the info.

I missed that turbo sound I had from my GT so I had to have another turbo car. Well, at least one that comes from the factory with a turbo. :D

Originally posted by ws6formula50
Why someone feels that they just have to come into the thread and turn it into their OPINION, is beyond me. Hmmm, physics, where is your test data. This thread was a guy saying he liked the product he recieved and not that he gained 90 RWHP and 127LBS/FT of torque so everyone better go buy this. Just simply that he was happy with it, as I was with mine, looks, fit, and even the fluttering noise.
Keep up the good work Mark.......

The other guy, why dont you just go start your own "Cold Air Kits Are Useless Thread" so if we are interested in how YOU feel about it, we can go read it in YOUR thread.
Good Day

Look, I NEVER said any thing directed to Mark!!! I would not do so….this is NOT personal at all. It is very unlikely that Mark remembers me, but I have spoken with him on the phone (a long time a go, like 2 years), and this is not a$$ kissing…..I found him to be one of the most pleasant guys to speak with in the Buick community!!! I will say sorry if this has been taken as either some thing personal or raining on some ones parade. It was not my intentions to do so. If some one wants to buy a CAI kit because they like the sound, or they like the look, or in Marks case, they want to support the community / support him because he’s a good guy, that’s a good reason to buy it. However, a CAI vs. a non-CAI (performance kit), is going to give negligible performance differences, for the given above stated reasons.

Good day,
Jason

One of the few references I could find on this debate is from gnttype:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html

Using the given example of a 70 degree day and Nearing's measured temp difference of 50 degrees cooler air intake after installing the CAI...... Plugging the numbers in his intake temp after the compressor would drop from around 326 degrees to 258 degrees. Thats a 68 degree difference! After the intercooler the difference will be less, but there is definitely a difference (based on the formula given in the link above).

Probably the smaller the intercooler the bigger the difference. Also when at a stop before the air gets flowing (as 2QUIK6 mentioned) when the intercooler is less effective. And if you don't have a turbo shield the underhood air will be even hotter.

There are some other references that can be found pertaining to air temperature and turbo compressors, and you'll see that they all agree with the gnttype example. That is, the lower the intake temperature the better. V8killr, go to the forced convection section in your old fluid mechanics or heat transfer book since it may indeed be necessary. I doubt you'll find anything relevant to turbocharger applications though.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted

I've never made any horsepower increase claims about my kit.:)

Sorry, no more compliments from me.:(

All I said was I liked the way it installed, looked and loved the way it sounded but since it's going to slow me down I'm taking it off.:D

Originally posted by NEARING
Sorry, no more compliments from me.:(

All I said was I liked the way it installed, looked and loved the way it sounded but since it's going to slow me down I'm taking it off.:D

:D :D :D :D Good one!

Originally posted by murphster
One of the few references I could find on this debate is from gnttype:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html

Using the given example of a 70 degree day and Nearing's measured temp difference of 50 degrees cooler air intake after installing the CAI...... Plugging the numbers in his intake temp after the compressor would drop from around 326 degrees to 258 degrees. Thats a 68 degree difference! After the intercooler the difference will be less, but there is definitely a difference (based on the formula given in the link above).

Probably the smaller the intercooler the bigger the difference. Also when at a stop before the air gets flowing (as 2QUIK6 mentioned) when the intercooler is less effective. And if you don't have a turbo shield the underhood air will be even hotter.

There are some other references that can be found pertaining to air temperature and turbo compressors, and you'll see that they all agree with the gnttype example. That is, the lower the intake temperature the better. V8killr, go to the forced convection section in your old fluid mechanics or heat transfer book since it may indeed be necessary. I doubt you'll find anything relevant to turbocharger applications though.

I will read up on it. If I am wrong, I’d be more then happy to admit that I’m incorrect, always willing to learn. I was also looking to go back my Thermo books and read some of the old Thermo chart examples. I will say this, I’m still skeptical that CAI has any significant gain in performance. At the very least, thank you for the information.

Jason

i had marks cold air kit and unfotunatelly could never get my cell 15 blm count down after 6 or 7 chip changes from jim testa. i decided to give it to him for all the work he did to try and help me correct the problem . i guess im the only one who ever had that problem. its to bad cause i loved the sound and the looks of it, very nice kit. ive heard from people that it definatelly helps your 60 ft. big time. i would love top get another 1 but there must be a damn ghost in my motor thjat dosent like more air flow.:mad: :D