4.60 at 160

Dusty Bradford

Just another update. I've raced two events recently. The event 2 weeks ago was in Memphis TN and was a rough one. It was the 1st time back out with the car since Feb when our race was canceled by a rain storm. I had added some fiberglass doors which trapped water in them. My 1st pass down the track, water blew out of the driver side door sending me into a spin where I brushed the wall with the nose. Damage was minor so we were back racing after some duct tape repairs. It was a different race format that allowed all 1st and 2nd round loosers to buy into a gamblers race which I ended up winning. Only after I found the limits of a stock hood latch. The hood flew off at about 150mph. I had removed the inner fenders and the air pressure under the hood must be much higher than you would think. The car ran a best of 4.68 at 134 on the brakes with a 1.16 60' and a 3.06 330' time.

We fixed the front end this past week and converted the hood to a Dzus on style. I figured we would pick up where we left off but my 1st two qualifying passes showed another issue. The car would just lay over when I went into high gear. We eventually traced it back to a bad ground wire on the engine. After finding this, the car went very rich but still managed a best pass of 4.60 at 159 on 25psi. 1.19 60' and 3.07 330'. With my usual 1.16 60' this would have been a 4.57. Plans are to get back out as soon as possible and get the fuel curve sorted out to see if the mph will come on up. With 30-32psi boost, this motor should run 166-170.

Vid of the 4.60

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1396911858.948955.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1396911868.816985.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That is hauling azz! How long is your trailer? I have a RZR like yours and bought a 28ft bumper pull. have not tried to fit both yet.:nailbiting:

That is hauling azz! How long is your trailer? I have a RZR like yours and bought a 28ft bumper pull. have not tried to fit both yet.:nailbiting:
I have a 48ft gooseneck but with the cabinet arrangement and the gooseneck I probably have 30-32ft of floor space. A 28ft will be a tight fit by the time you try to leave room to strap it down. It may work though.

Very nice Dusty! The cars attitude on launch looks real good.
Thanks. I have now set the Santhuff fronts full tight which is extremely tight. A good 1.5-2 seconds to full extension. Front travel is also limited to about 2 inches and 20# was put on the nose. This pass, the light came down really quick so I only left on 8.3 instead of the usual 10.5 so the 60' slowed from 1.16 to the 1.19. It's pretty promising. Knowing what it lost on the 60' and still went 3.07 it's looking like I can possibly go 2.98 or better to the 330 with the 1.5 a/r.

Wow that chassis is on a rail . Congrats on the build dusty . Very nice .

Car looks great. Makes me want to do a big block car next... Close call with the water in the doors. Great work and progress. Thanks for all the insight on the suspension setup.

:pThat driver side bumper filler looks amazing!!!

Glad you got it fixed up Dusty...sucked to see it a little crunched but it could have been much worse!

Greg

Last edited:
:pThat driver side bumper filler looks amazing!!!

Glad you got it fixed up Dusty...sucked to see it a little crunched but it could have been much worse!

Greg

I'm glad you replied.....I tried remembering your username and couldn't come up with it. The filler worked out perfectly. Thanks again.

Very nice car. Im doing a Regal with a LQ9 out my TA. Can you tell me with fuel you run, and what AFR you shot for?

The 6.0 and my older Chevy style motors don't have much in common so the AFR will be different. AFR requirements also change with the amount of boost you run. I have ran both C and Q16. At 30# of boost, C16 is around 11.4, Q16 is around 11.1. At 20psi you will be leaner than that, 11.8 on C16 is still safe. Your LQ9 won't need as much timing. I was at 24 degrees of timing at 30# of boost with my small block, you will be less than that at 20# of boost. It's not uncommon for LS motors to be around 14-16 degrees of timing at 20psi.