4.1 Stage 1 block casting thickness?

Sleeper

Anyone know the approximate casting thickness of the block in the lifter valley area just above the lifter bores?

I don't think there is a precise answer. Stage I and II blocks are subject to core shift and variability in casting thickness etc. just like production blocks. You can sonic check it to find out.

Neal

I don't think there is a precise answer. Stage I and II blocks are subject to core shift and variability in casting thickness etc. just like production blocks. You can sonic check it to find out.

Neal

Thanks Neal.
Ballpark guess?
Am looking into repairing a crack using Lock n Stitch. Got in touch with a distributor of the kits, and the tech dept wanted some info on the block. (I'm guessing for pin size/length?)

I was going to ask you if it was cracked in my first response. If I had to take a guess at it I'd say .125" to .200" but if the dimension is critical I'd just take it to the machine shop and sonic check it.

Neal

I was going to ask you if it was cracked in my first response. If I had to take a guess at it I'd say .125" to .200" but if the dimension is critical I'd just take it to the machine shop and sonic check it.

Neal

Thanks Neal,
I replied with your info and he sent me this:
"We will need to know the exact thickness to determine which pin size will best fit your needs. If the casting is less than .1875” it will be too thin to use the C-Series pins, though you may be able to use the L-Series. The best thing to do is to drill into the casting with a thin drill bit at the beginning of the crack and measure the thickness with the bit."
I'll try this in different spots to see if there is any variances. I guess having it sonic tested as you suggested would be the best.
Paul

Did the block freeze? Remember, StageI blocks are rejected stageII blocks. Might be REAL thin in that area due to core shift if not caused by freezing.