4.1 questions

turbo3.8monza

I have found a complete 4.1 motor just recently for dirt cheap and was unsure if I should build it or sell it.
The biggest questions I have is how strong is the block?I have the GN crank and rods I was going to put in it. Is there anything about this block that couldn't handle boost with out spending an arm and a leg. I know the piston selection is pretty low but I can live with that. I'm not playing with boost just yet but soon down the road so I want to build the motor to handle it. any input would be appreciated

The 291 casting has thicker walls and is the preferred one. That's what I have. They can be prone to cracking, so make sure you test the blocks, my first one is cracked. As for power, I'll let you know next year. Here is some pics of my 4.1.

Attachments

• TB2.jpg
    TB2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 176
  • TB 006.jpg
    TB 006.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 171
  • TBM021.jpg
    TBM021.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 174
Well i got one with 24psi, and no girdle, and stock main caps. Car running very good. I studed the mains that's all. Has a 20/20 crank, stock rod's, and hyper piston's. They give Hypers a bad name, but ive had no problem's.

sweet mine is a 291 block!
where did you get your pistons from?
what kind of power are you looking to make with your set-up?

I would use studs through the motor, my 3.8 is using stud on the mains and heads and I will not go back to bolts. My plan for the 4.1 or 3.8 was mid 9's in the quarter and will my monza weighing at 2300 with my 200 lbs. butt in it I need less of a bad ass motor than ya'll, thats why I was hoping that the 4.1 could hang with my wants

4.1 is great, got piston's from summit, and i can tell you this engine is close to 600HP, Good luck. I drive my car everywhere, and is cost very little. The block is a 0044, and i saw where they were cracking in the lifter valley, and i decided that the reason they were cracking was because they drilled that oil return hole in the front of the engine, that has to weaken the engine, so i found another way with out drilling that hole! Engine is great!

i decided that the reason they were cracking was because they drilled that oil return hole in the front of the engine, that has to weaken the engine, so i found another way with out drilling that hole! Engine is great!
You are talking about the turbo oil return line right? I already have a modified oil pan with a turbo return in it, its a nice little 7 1/2 quart pan with trap door baffles that fits a "H" body