4.1 Intake and Q-Jet swap

alopeks

Forever New
Hey, I'm finally back online!

I can't believe it's already 2004, what the heck happened to last Fall?

Okay, enough chit-chat, it's time for me to look like a fool again. I just bought (eBay is wonderful!) a 4.1 intake and Q-Jet to put in my '84 Regal Limited. My main concern right now, besides of course getting the new carb clean enough to install, is the electronic controls. I know the Dualjet I have is controlled, at least a little, by the ECM. What about the Q? Will I need to make any kind of adjustments to the ECM, or does it read everything the same? If I need to adjust anything, HOW? What about the EGR Valve and solenoid? I need a new solenoid anyway, as the one I have doesn't work half the time, but is the EGR valve on the 4.1 the same size? The 4.1 intake has an EGR on it, but I don't know how well it works, and since I'm going to replace the solenoid anyway, I might as well check to see if the EGR is worth keepingor needs to be replaced regardless of condition. Beyond just the carb and its installation, is there anything the experienced among us would like to tell the newbie before he destroys his ONLY MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION? Okay, can you tell that I think I'm in over my head?

Thanks guys, e-mail help is welcome.

alopeks

youduh@yahoo.com

The Q-jet is a plug and play as long as it is an electronic fed back version. Everything you mention is the same between the two. They did have a different chip for the computer but you should be able to use the 3.8 with out any problems. There is one bracket that is different and that is the tubular brace that goes through the top of the alternator mount. You might be able to bend your old one to fit.

Not to hijack the thread but I have a related question.

I'm off to get either a 4.1 (hopefully) or 3.8 in a yard 300 miles away. The engine will be going in a 50 Willys pickup. Obviously there will be no computer. Can I eliminate any or all computer controls on the V6 and run it like an old time engine? If not, what parts do I need from the donar car besides block, accessories? Computer, ECM stuff?

I know little to nothing about the computerized cars so tell me the simple stuff as well as the tough stuff please.

Thanks in advance.

Oh boy, how about an injected 3.8 for my project?
What would I need to get from the donar car to make it work in a 50 year old vehicle?
Which years 3.8 are true fuel injection rather than TBI?

Wiring harness
Computer - where is it and what's it look like?

Thanks

Keep the hybrid simple. Stay away from the ECM system:

THM-350C/TCC lock-up transmission from 1981 and up.
CCC- Electronic Q-Jet 1981 and up.
HEI/EST distributer 1981 and up.

Anyone of these componants before 1981 should work.

I'm not against the ECM system, only that it has it's limitaions.

On a Willy's, a 3.8 will rock! Especially if you beef up the engine some with traditional upgrades like the cam, Q-Jet, intake, headers, duel exhaust. You'll be amazed at how this simple recipe will kick butt on a light frame.

The GM G-bodies are heavy and big. That's why the turbo on the little V6 made sense. Without a turbo the N/A V6 struggled. You won't have this deficit on the Willys, so an SFI or turbo system is over-kill. Good Luck whatever you decide! :cool:

Originally posted by alopeks
What about the EGR Valve and solenoid? I need a new solenoid anyway, as the one I have doesn't work half the time, but is the EGR valve on the 4.1 the same size? The 4.1 intake has an EGR on it, but I don't know how well it works, and since I'm going to replace the solenoid anyway,

A bad selonoid is as bad as an EGR stuck in the open position. Unless your state has emissions checks that include visual inspections of the EGR I'd cap it for now and worry about it some other time.

One has to find out what type of EGR comes on the '84's.
I believe GM made three types of EGR for these cars ranging from 1981 on up. They all interchange, but won't neccesarily work.

If you're that worried use the OEM from the '84 on the duel jet intake that you already have and go ahead and replace the selonoid. For the meantime I'd cap the EGR until you get that selonoid fixed. :D

Freddie,

Electronic Qjet? Would the one on a 4.1 be it?

The 4.1 intake and Qjet will bolt on a 3.8 right? There are both in the yard.

This is a Willys pickup, not the little CJ type rig so a bit heavier.
Guess I'll decide when I see what's available in the junkyard. With luck I'll get one that will run with minimal tuning or parts replacement and I can build later on. If not, that's ok too.

I don't know how to distinguish from ECM. Guess I'll have to use my eyes and brain to figure it out. Or I'll spend the night and get back on here tomorrow night from a hotel.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Freddie's Buick
Keep the hybrid simple. Stay away from the ECM system:

THM-350C/TCC lock-up transmission from 1981 and up.
CCC- Electronic Q-Jet 1981 and up.
HEI/EST distributer 1981 and up.

Anyone of these componants before 1981 should work.

I'm not against the ECM system, only that it has it's limitaions.

On a Willy's, a 3.8 will rock! Especially if you beef up the engine some with traditional upgrades like the cam, Q-Jet, intake, headers, duel exhaust. You'll be amazed at how this simple recipe will kick butt on a light frame.

The GM G-bodies are heavy and big. That's why the turbo on the little V6 made sense. Without a turbo the N/A V6 struggled. You won't have this deficit on the Willys, so an SFI or turbo system is over-kill. Good Luck whatever you decide! :cool:

I picked a 3.8 from an '80 Cutlass at the yard. Got the 4bbl intake and Qjet from another donar. I was confused because that car had a 3.8 sticker on the shroud but a Qjet and 4bbl intake. Maybe an intake swap by the last owner.

I didn't get throttle cable but could on a return trip if necessary. I also didn't get the air pump (I guess? Opposite the alternator on the driver's side of the engine). Hopefully I can make this work without it. But I did get PS, linkages, fan and shroud, etc.

Is there much call for G-body parts out here. Lots of Regals, Cutlass in this yard (but it's 300 miles away).