3800 SC in a Fiero Need info

georgewe4

I sold my 87 Buick a few months back and acquired 1988 Fiero Formula from a uncle of mine. I had no intentions of getting another car, but this one was kind of dropped in my lap. The car has 49,000 miles but needs a lot of work. I was reallllly interested in the car when I found out that lots of people put 3800 SC engines in them. I had a 97 GS and LOVED that car. It was an awesome runner in stock form and I am trying to imagine what it would be capable of in a car that weighs approx 2500 lbs. I have become a member of a Fiero forum and there is a lot of info on the topic over there but I would like some BUICK input as well.

Without going to deep into the engine, what have you been able to get out of your cars performance wise. I would love a low 13 second fiero with automatic. Is it possible to do with a pretty stock 3800 SC engine?

There are some guys there that have turboed the 380o and are getting low 10 second cars with a number of mods. Hearing numbers like 8,10,12 thousand dollars is WAY out of my budget. What do you folks think is the max I could get out of a 3800SC setup without going to deep into the engine?

Thank you for your expert advise.
I'm not saying the other guys aren't experts... Obviously they are producing some impressive numbers so they know a lot! I just also value your thoughts on the subject.

Thank you

stock or damn close to stock L67 fiero should run low 13's like you want , low 12's high 11's on a budget spray it ! 75-100 shot should get it there without much else , tuning and proper fueling for a bigger shot and you could go much faster

dont like spray ? headers ,rockers ,pulley, tune should get you solid 12's

or cam & intercool it , from there supporting mods & tuning should get 11's

convert it to e85 and do a pulley drop and headers you should be able to drop pulley pretty far due to the intercooling effect of e85 but you will need a tuner ,larger injectors ,and a good fuel supply ( pupm ,lines ,etc..)

basically take a second off what the same combo will do in a w body when you drop it in a fiero , my wifes gs box stock went 14.4@96 so it shouldnt take much more than stock to get your low 13's - maybe intake/plog/3.6 pulley ?

the fieros hook awesome watch some vids on you tube &street fire

Thank you,
I love the way the 3800 SC loks in the engine bay of a Fiero. I loved that GS we had and I know that they can perform very well. I never got the chance to change a pulley or do anything to it.

I have watched some videos of Fieros with the 3800 both supercharged and turboed. I want some excellent performance to go along with the way that the car is supposed to handle. I have't had the chance to really know what the car will handle like because it has some alignment issues. Its a 1988 and that is supposed to be the best year for the suspension/handling.

Some mods you listed doesn't sound too bad. I could do those before installing the engine, or as I'm installing the engine. To be honest the biggest thing that scares me is anything to do with the exhaust. Theres not a lot of room there, and from what little knowledge I have learned it would have to be fabricated as I go.. I can't do that myself.

88 is supposed to be a drastically better car , the early cars shared citation underpinnings I believe ( it was an econobox just not sure if it was citation)

the 88 is supposed to be more difficult for the 3800 swap though with the fastback roof style and sail panels.

it will be a cool swap so keep us posted:cool: