3300 RWD Datsun truck

Tim Keith

Is the '89 3300 block pre-drilled for RWD motor mounts? If not, are there provisions for mounts to be drilled? With its lower deck block the 3300 is slightly more narrow than the 3800. Are there any concerns that would prevent the 3300 from being swapped into a Datsun pickup ? There is little interest in 3300 swaps, but there are plenty of these motors. The 3300 has a six bolt 2.655-inch crankshaft flange, it has a "metric" bell housing pattern. Speedway has a metric transmission adapter which can work with a 200R4 ( item 91628907 )

Tim

I have a chevy luv pick up and the older 3.8 fits with no issues. I dont see why a 3300 would be any harder to fit. But I have to ask why the 3.3? why not just go with the 3800?

I have an '89 Ciera with a good motor, but the transmission isn't shifting well. I have two Datsun 620 trucks, one with a Datsun automatic, the other has a manual trans. I'm rebuilding an L20B for the manual trans 620. I thought of swapping a KA24 (2.4 liter) in the auto trans 620 but most of the four cylinder motors that I come across in the salvage yard are worn out. The KA24 is rated at almost the same hp as the 3300, but the 3300 has better torque at lower RPM. The fuel economy of the 3300 is very good, as good as the four cylinder L-series Datsun ( when the axle gears are changed from the stock 4.36:1). The 3300 does not have balance shafts and has a 1-inch lower deck height than the 3800. There's nothing wrong with a 3300 when torque and economy is the goal.

The only issue I heard with a Buick 3.8 V6 in the Datsun truck is the GM automatic transmission yoke can interfere with the truck rear torsion bar mounts. The GM automatics, Turbo 350, 200R4 etc, are 2 inch longer than the Datsun transmission. The Speedway "metric" transmission adapter can allow these auto transmissions to attach to the 3300, I don't know which torque converter must be used. To resolve the clearance issue you can grind away part of the rear yoke(which I don't want to do), or remove the torsion bars and use an air bagged suspension, which can help the truck handle like a sports car.

Another option is a manual transmission but I don't know which flywheel might work with the 3300. I don't think there are many options for the flywheel, although there are "metric" manual transmissions that can attach to the 3300 without an adapter, eg a T5 from an S-10 truck.

Very interesting, it seems were almost on the same sort of path in a way.

I can understand the use of the 3300 now, for economy and cost reasons. Now on the situation of the trans, i would reccomend the 700R4 from either an S10 or a Camaro that had a 60* V6 as that trans will have the correct bellhousing as the 3300 and the strength should be sufficient if you decide on going auto. I too have used the T5 behind a buick, but it didnt last well behind my turbo motor. As for the torsion bar suspension... I had some what the opposite problem in my Luv that the torsion bar crossmember was 4" too far back from the trans. My solution was to convert the front suspension to coil over shocks and completly remove the original torsion bar crossmember and trans mount. I replaced my crossmember with the speedway universal 2" drop crossmember. Front shocks were speed way coils, and the spindes from an s10 were adapted.

I dont know if that helps any, but thats how i overcame my swap problems. I must say though, that the power of the buick in combo with the lightness of these trucks makes them incredible!

Yeh, the 620 is super light. I don't know what the 3300 weighs, likely more than 100 pounds than the iron block Datsun four cylinder. When driven hard the 160 HP could lead to traction issues, I don't need more power. The '90s Nissan KA24 four cylinder truck motor was rated at almost that much HP, but the torque curve of the 3300 is better for a truck, so much that the 4.36:1 axle would be changed to something more economical. The center carrier of the Datsun axle are removable like a 9-inch Ford. Some 510s have more economical gears than the truck. At 70 MPH the Datsun motor turns about 4,000 RPM. I have two of these Datsun trucks, I would keep a Nissan motor in one. The Datsun motors are strongly built, but the best way to make streetable power is to turbo charge them. I think the $65 Speedway adapter allows the use of the 200R4 with the "metric" 3300.

I checked with Acme Adapters to see about a VW 1.6 liter TDI conversion for the Datsun 620. They told me that the swap ought to be fairly straightforward using a Toyota manual transmission from a pickup truck powered by a 22RE. The small TDI motor has similar torque as the 3300 V6, hard to believe. The basic kit (minus motor mounts that I must fabricate myself) is $595. The kit has a flywheel, a TDI to Toyota transmission adapter plate and various bolts for the same.

Tim

I don't have anything constructive to add but.....

I fixed a fender bender 80 datuson 620 shortbox regular cab once and I laughed at how easy the fender and bumper went back into shape. I think I took a big vicegrip to bend the front bumper back into place. I bent the fender back into place by pushing my knee into it. Used 2 self tapping screws to hold the entire inner fender in place. Be surprised if it weighed over 2600. My 2 stall garage had a F350 that had a 10ft bed parked so I cleared the other side out thinking it would barely fit and there was like 2 feet on each side. If it ever comes up for sale Im sticking my Olds 455 TH 400 in it just to see what it would destroy.

I fixed a fender bender 80 datuson 620 shortbox regular cab once and I laughed at how easy the fender and bumper went back into shape. I think I took a big vicegrip to bend the front bumper back into place. I bent the fender back into place by pushing my knee into it. Used 2 self tapping screws to hold the entire inner fender in place. Be surprised if it weighed over 2600. My 2 stall garage had a F350 that had a 10ft bed parked so I cleared the other side out thinking it would barely fit and there was like 2 feet on each side. If it ever comes up for sale Im sticking my Olds 455 TH 400 in it just to see what it would destroy.

The 620 truck weighs just under 2,300 pounds, just a little more than a 1st gen Toyota MR2. The 620 has a fully boxed frame that is strong. Sometimes the 620 frames are altered and used in Ford Model A hot rods. I might
convert to a flatbed, although the box is in good shape. I like the wider flatbed, especially when a built-in tool box is added below the bed. Some 620s were sold new with flatbeds.

I have a couple P-15 Plymouth business coupes, a '46 and a '48. These cars also have a fully boxed frame. I might use the 3300 in one of the P15s. I've been thinking that a VW diesel swap might be ideal for one of my two 620s, using the basic Acme kit for the Samarai with the Toyota 5 speed. With a different set of rear gears and driven at a steady 55 MPH the turbo diesel might return 40 to 50 MPG. A 620 truck is 1,000 pounds lighter than the VWs that came with the smaller TDI diesel. The light truck would have some spunk to it. 620s are light but have aerodynamics of a brick.

The 3300 in the P15 may have fewer problems with the stock steering box clearance, a common problem when using a V8.

. If it ever comes up for sale Im sticking my Olds 455 TH 400 in it just to see what it would destroy.

Nuthing but tires........ i had a big block chevy Luv one time........ it was an awesome smoke machine but couldnt grab anything faster then a 12 in the 1/4. just couldnt find a drop of traction with the nose so heavy from the engine weight. Thus my choice to go with the light and potent v6. now i eat big blocks for lunch making twice the power. lighter is better.