3.8 supercharger?

Big Paul

Bob Barker
Who makes the supercharged 3800 supercharger?

It's not a stock GM blower is it?

And can you get a supercharger for a N/A 3800? For a regualar 3.8?

Thankya!

Now my question is. Can you get the Eaton blower for a regular 3800? Say a new Camaro 3.8?

it may physically fit, but it is a different engine, with different/lesser rods, crank, pistons, and computer. Therefore you would not want a blower on the engine as it would self destruct.

I knew that....

.....the GTP/GS 3800 was a different engine, with different internals. But I guess your right, the base 3800 isn't built to take it, even with a lower boost?

92/93 is an Eaton M-62
94/95 is an Eaton M-62 with Teflon coated rotors and larger inlet (70mm vs 57mm)
96+ is an Eaton M-90.

Big Paul

If you want to make a L34 go, put a Vortech S trim on it. You may want to beef up pistons etc, but if its a series 2 they're pretty good. You can improve the heads to much better than L67 heads and with the decent blower on it , you'll be looking at the L67's in your rear mirror.
The L67's are good, but the blower is whimsy.
We've just put a S trim on a L67 and are presently tuning it.
Its in a 99 Aussie Commodore. The owner fabricated a plenum to go where blower was with throttle body to front and vortech feeding that. It works great. I will have it on www.kalmaker.com
site soon.
Hooter

Re: Big Paul

Originally posted by Hooter
If you want to make a L34 go, put a Vortech S trim on it. You may want to beef up pistons etc, but if its a series 2 they're pretty good. You can improve the heads to much better than L67 heads and with the decent blower on it , you'll be looking at the L67's in your rear mirror.
The L67's are good, but the blower is whimsy.
We've just put a S trim on a L67 and are presently tuning it.
Its in a 99 Aussie Commodore. The owner fabricated a plenum to go where blower was with throttle body to front and vortech feeding that. It works great. I will have it on www.kalmaker.com
site soon.
Hooter

You guys have obviously never seen a stock 3800 II N/A piston and rod combo have you? The piston is probably 1" in height from top to the bottom of skirts. The ring package is so tight you can bearly squeeze a feeler gage in there. As for the rods, think again. ALL buick rods are of the cast design unlike chevy's which are forged. Given, the GN turbo and 3800 I and II SC engines have beefier rods to begin with, this leaves little to be desired about the featherweighted rods the N/A 3800's come equipped with. Contrary to popular belief, the N/A 3800 II and SC engines share the same part number crank with the only difference being in the balance for the rod/piston weight difference.

I would not run more than 4lbs of boost or a 50hp shot of N2O on a stock 3800 N/A engine. Spend the money and upgrade the pistons and rods, then get a good balance job done before you get serious about boost. Just my 2 cents.