3.8 NA V6 Troubles

MrSony

Hello all. I'm sad to say that my little V6 is having issues. I was driving today, and it died on me, 7 times. A bit later about half an hour or so of sub 40mph driving it just crapped out. I was going up a decent sized hill, gave it a bit of gas to get up there, and it just bogged down and died. I coasted off to a sideroad with the help of some civilians. I tried to turn her over, it did, then a near deafening squeal near the firewall, so the rear of the engine and it died. I tried to start it again, and nothing. I could hear it trying, but it felt like there was no compression. And then it just locked up. I left it and it being a balmy 20 degrees here in Iowa, I was able to to start her up and put her home. Any ideas as to what it could be? thanks.

Hello all. I'm sad to say that my little V6 is having issues. I was driving today, and it died on me, 7 times. A bit later about half an hour or so of sub 40mph driving it just crapped out. I was going up a decent sized hill, gave it a bit of gas to get up there, and it just bogged down and died. I coasted off to a sideroad with the help of some civilians. I tried to turn her over, it did, then a near deafening squeal near the firewall, so the rear of the engine and it died. I tried to start it again, and nothing. I could hear it trying, but it felt like there was no compression. And then it just locked up. I left it and it being a balmy 20 degrees here in Iowa, I was able to to start her up and put her home. Any ideas as to what it could be? thanks.
Forgot to add, after I got it home it was idling rough. And still squealing.

It would sure help to clue us in on what you're driving. We're good with diagnosing things but we're not psychics.

Carbureted engine? If so, what year? Fuel injected engine?

It would sure help to clue us in on what you're driving. We're good with diagnosing things but we're not psychics.

Carbureted engine? If so, what year? Fuel injected engine?
My bad, 1985 regal Limited, 2 barrel 3.8 V6, bone stock.

It's my first and only car, so any and all help and insight is greatly appreciated.

Well first rule is if it's making that much noise, don't start it anymore. You will only make it worse.

Since you have multiple symptoms, it's hard to know where to start. First, does the oil pressure light work, and did it come on? Could the loud screeching noise have been the starter not engaging with the flywheel temporarily, or was it a bearing seizing up from lack of oil? Then you said it sounded like it had no compression. The engine would spin very fast with no compression. I think if the engine still spins over and is not locked up, and it has oil pressure, I would pull the plugs and do a compression test. If all cylinders are low, it's possible the timing chain has jumped a tooth. Check all the cylinders to be sure there is no water in the cylinders. That would lock the engine up as it is cranked over. Once the water was cleared out, it would run again, but miss if it had a blown head gasket. Is the cooling system full? Since you got it started and drove it home, it may not be hurt bad. Maybe it overheated and when it cooled off you were able to get it running again? Lots of possible reasons for the problems.

Since you have multiple symptoms, it's hard to know where to start. First, does the oil pressure light work, and did it come on? Could the loud screeching noise have been the starter not engaging with the flywheel temporarily, or was it a bearing seizing up from lack of oil? Then you said it sounded like it had no compression. The engine would spin very fast with no compression. I think if the engine still spins over and is not locked up, and it has oil pressure, I would pull the plugs and do a compression test. If all cylinders are low, it's possible the timing chain has jumped a tooth. Check all the cylinders to be sure there is no water in the cylinders. That would lock the engine up as it is cranked over. Once the water was cleared out, it would run again, but miss if it had a blown head gasket. Is the cooling system full? Since you got it started and drove it home, it may not be hurt bad. Maybe it overheated and when it cooled off you were able to get it running again? Lots of possible reasons for the problems.
The Oil/Choke light came on shortly before it overheated and the loud screeching noise sounded as if it came from the rear of the engine, pretty sure it's a bearing. And it had a small puddle (size of fist) of oil underneath a few minutes after it overheated. First leak I've ever seen out of the car. Part of me thinks it might be either just an old thermostat or a plugged radiator/lines. The car only has 85,000 miles but it sat for 10 years (it's an Iowa car, so snow happened) before I bought it. And thanks for replying.

A vacuum leak would cause a rough idle. The engine would smooth out above idle. Not likely the cause of your problems.

A few minutes ago I checked the coolant, and low & behold I couldn't see any, just a brown rusty radiator. So, refilled it, and started it. It has a definite knock now. I was planning on putting a SBB in, but not this early. That's gonna have to wait until spring anyway. But still. :(

*********IT HAD PLENTY OF COOLANT BEFORE THE "INCIDENT"********* I just don't know where it went. :unsure:

Fill it up and pressure test the radiator. If you do not see a leak, pull the plugs and crank it over with pressure on it to see if any cylinders have water in them from a blown head gasket. If you find a leak like a water pump or radiator, put a thermostat in it while you are at it. It sounds like you overheated it. The knock could be from a piece of carbon that broke loose when it overheated and is stuck between the head and piston. Trickling some water down the carburetor while it is running will break it loose, but you need to fix the overheating problem first.

Fill it up and pressure test the radiator. If you do not see a leak, pull the plugs and crank it over with pressure on it to see if any cylinders have water in them from a blown head gasket. If you find a leak like a water pump or radiator, put a thermostat in it while you are at it. It sounds like you overheated it. The knock could be from a piece of carbon that broke loose when it overheated and is stuck between the head and piston. Trickling some water down the carburetor while it is running will break it loose, but you need to fix the overheating problem first.
From listening to it, it really sounds like a rod knocking. Regardless, it's gonna be torn apart and rebuilt.

Don't want to sound like a dumb ass but nowhere did you say you checked the oil! Did you and what did it look like? Colour/ water antifreeze in it? Merry Christmas to all.

Don't want to sound like a dumb ass but nowhere did you say you checked the oil! Did you and what did it look like? Colour/ water antifreeze in it? Merry Christmas to all.
Checked it when I got home 1 1/2 quarts low, was full last time i checked it two weeks prior, think it burned a bit. And was normal color.