3.8 BUICK NON TURBO REBUILD HELP

MrSony

Hello again. I am going to have to rebuild my little 3.8 in the near future, so I would like some of your guy's insight. For example, where to get bearings, pistons, etc. Little parts that are hard to find, tips and tricks that need to be done, and maybe some performance upgrades? :sneaky: Keep in mind I don't want to spend a lot, so I will be reusing most parts. Just a rebuild and upgrading things to cure that rod knock and make it have a bit more pep.

Rod and main clearance should be no more than 0.0017 to 0.002 for the best oil pressure. Go to turbobucks.com and look up Earl Browns thread on modifying the timing cover for best oil pressure so you don't have any issues.;)

if your going to a sbb in the future and reusing parts is in the plan then dont waste any time with trying to improove power. slap it together and get it running. you wont gain a drop of power with what your doing. There is nothing cheap or possible with 90% of the stock parts. not to be a downer... but its the reality of the situation.

Yeah, I was thinking that frankenstein. Just gonna get some funds together and start next spring maybe. SBB here I come. :D

Yeah, I was thinking that frankenstein. Just gonna get some funds together and start next spring maybe. SBB here I come. :D

excellent choice. Ive gotten lost in the past with the "while im in here" concept and ended up turning something into a project i dont have the time or money for. nowdays, im just trying to manage all of the projects that resulted from years past of me doing this.

Buick 350s and 455s can be had for probably the same amount or maybe even less than what you will put in that six. Even when you do swap for that 350, don't expect much out of a stock one

Looking back on it I wish I would have just bought a cheap ass 305 instead of screwing around with 40 year old motors.

I had the chance to get a 305 complete and a whole Monte Carlo that was wrecked for less than what I bought that pos 455 for. Sick isn't it? I'm gonna be getting a buick 350 and 350 trans in trade for the th400 buick trans I got with the 455. I'm not expecting it to be good either but its more useful than a bop long shaft trans.

well it is something to say at the least, I move more SBC's then i do of any other engine. I might get to build a hemi or a buick once every 6 months or so.... its hard to be doin anything else when its so easy with the walmart of engines.

305s go for 100-200 running here. A cheap nitrous kit, headers, and a can would make for a stupid cheap beater.