28" front runners

boostedLC2

Anyone running a 27.5-28" front runner? Do they clear the wheel wells at max jounce?

Thanks,

Jim

Most front runners I've seen are 29.5's with 28's or larger in the rears. takes the same HP to move a 29.5" runner as it does a 27.5"...which one moves down the track further for the same HP?
HTH
Jim

I run 28" mickey thompson sportsmans, they do rub at full lock, I just don't turn that tight.

New E.T?!!!! Excellent.

You need more turbo and some TA heads.....

How much boost were you running? (27?)

Bob
(email me)

On the contrary, most guys use 26", because they're cheap and plentiful. Very often these tires aren't even frontrunners, but cheap radials. This negates the benefits of frontrunners - lower mass, less rolling resistance (growth at the top end for even less rolling resistance at speed), and weight transfer on launch. Some of these "donuts" may not have adequate load ratings.

For a "stock" suspension car using 28" slicks, I think 27" frontrunners are ideal. Goodyear makes 'em. You just need to ask, as they very often don't appear in catalogs. They're a little more, but they fit like a glove.

Taller tires, like 28", rub, depending upon the specifics of your set-up.

26" work well for "race" cars, but IMO look ridiculous and are probably overloaded on a full weight, stock suspension TR. Guys who run $20, 26" radials, rather than impress, are viewed as missing the boat.

Originally posted by TurboBob
New E.T?!!!! Excellent.

You need more turbo and some TA heads.....

How much boost were you running? (27?)

Bob
(email me)

Yep - new E.T. thanks to that Extender Extreme chip of yours!
I'll email you about it tomorrow. Ran 27# on the run in my sig. Actually ran faster (124.2 mph w/ 29#) on the following run but spun and ended up with a 10.93.

Jim

Originally posted by strikeeagle
On the contrary, most guys use 26", because they're cheap and plentiful. Very often these tires aren't even frontrunners, but cheap radials. This negates the benefits of frontrunners - lower mass, less rolling resistance (growth at the top end for even less rolling resistance at speed), and weight transfer on launch. Some of these "donuts" may not have adequate load ratings.

For a "stock" suspension car using 28" slicks, I think 27" frontrunners are ideal. Goodyear makes 'em. You just need to ask, as they very often don't appear in catalogs. They're a little more, but they fit like a glove.

Taller tires, like 28", rub, depending upon the specifics of your set-up.

I think we're on the same page Strike. I'm currently running 26" Goodyear frontrunners that actually measure 25.5". Not only do they look a little small vs. my 28" slicks but I'm also not getting enough weight transfer. I'm looking at going to a taller frontrunner to help get the front end up a little. I was thinking of the M/T 28" (actually measures 27.5") but if Goodyear has a 27" I might check that out as well. Thanks for the tip.

Jim

What about rollout.The taller the tire the more rollout making the track longer before tripping the start light.