275-60-15s (anybody running them)

1kwick6

if anybody is running this tire size will you post a picture i want to run this size tire on a stock gn wheel and want to see what the car looks like. thanks

P275-60-15 pictures available...

1kwick6, I'm running Good Year Eagle's P275-60-15 on my GN. However, I mounted them on 8 in. rims, with 3 1/2" rear spacing. Just let me know if you want to see pictures, I'll be my pleasure to e-mail them to you...'bye!
Claude. :)

We ran a set of BFG 275/60-15's on the original 7" (or 7.5"?) wide aluminum wheels on the rear of our 1986 Monte SS. This tire is very tall on this size rim, and has an appreciable effect on the speedo (reads nearly 10% slow on the hi-way) and on the effective final drive ratio (feels like a numerically lower gear).
We ultimately replaced these 275's with 255's and were much happier.

As mentioned, the tire is a better fit on an 8" wheel.

Just some .02.

Rick
(Kristi's lesser half)

to run them on a stock GN wheel on MOST cars you will need to use a small spacer to keep them off the frame when turning. On T-type wheels they will work fine.

As for height, a T-R LOVES tall tires. Our cars make torque, not HP. Your typical street TR will be quicker with 275/60 radials vs. 275/50 radials because you will be able to leave with more boost and won't run out of RPM's through the traps. Better gear reduction does little good if its lost in tire spin.

I am running 275/60 BFG Drag Radials on some 15x7 Torque Thrusts. I believe the rear spacing is 3 3/4". They were real tight to the frame rail on driver's side and only rubbed on sharp turns so I threw a thin spacer on that side. The pics below show my GN with the 255's I had on the rear and the 275's can be seen in the three pics at the bottom of the page.
http://www.buickgn.com/torquewheels.htm

I just picked up a set of nearly new Nitto D/R 275/50 15. When I buy new rims I want to go 16", so how can I get these to work on my factory GN wheels? If I need longer studs, how do I know which ones to get and how do you get the olds ones out?

Originally posted by WakkoSS
I just picked up a set of nearly new Nitto D/R 275/50 15. When I buy new rims I want to go 16", so how can I get these to work on my factory GN wheels? If I need longer studs, how do I know which ones to get and how do you get the olds ones out?

I have 275/50 BFG's. I have small spacers and they still rub, and the pass rubs on the OUTSIDE also

275/60's will be next

Hmmm.....that's not good. I'd rather not roll the inside of the wheel well if I don't have to. I only paid $100 each for these and they're literally like new, I hate to sell em and lose out on the deal.

You are in luck

Originally posted by WakkoSS

the 275/50 nittos are a little narrower than the BFG's. YOu should be able to use them with stock GN wheels and a 1/4" or 5/16" spacer. You also should be able to get away with using the stock studs with this small of a spacer.

Just put on the 275-60-15 DRs on my limited. They fit with no rubbing but I have the stock T rims with aluminum drums. I am trying 26 psi and so far so good.

Dennis

I ran 275x50x15 BFG DRs on GN rims for years. They don't rub with aluminium drums but needed 7/32" spacer with cast drums. I now have 275x60x15 BFG DRs on stock GN rims with no spacer and no rubbing on cast drums. They are a MUCH taller tire than the 50's, but my times are better. Steady 1.6 60s with a TE44 and 3000 converter. Picked up MPH with them as well. Currently tuning 50# injectors with new chips. They are 2.15" taller than the 50s and the circumference is 6.8" greater.