275/60 - 15 Nittos - what backspacing is best?

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
I'm running 275/60-15 Nitto DR's on 15"x8" wheels on my car with 4" of back spacing which is the same back spacing as on a stock 15x7 GN wheel.

The problem I'm running into on my new wheel search is not many of the manufacturers offer a 4" BS.

Could I look at a lower or higher BS number wheel given this tire size? Say, something like a 3.5 to a 4.5? I don't want to have to roll the fenders if I can avoid it.

Suggestions?

Even a 4.5" BS will cause you contact with frame with a 15" wheel, but with a 1/4" to 7/16" universal spacer (and 2" studs) they'll avoid rubbing. Best to find a 4" backspace.

Even a 4.5" BS will cause you contact with frame with a 15" wheel, but with a 1/4" to 7/16" universal spacer (and 2" studs) they'll avoid rubbing. Best to find a 4" backspace.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there would be an issue with a 3.75" BS? I'm assuming a 3.5" would create issues with fender clearance and like I said, I would prefer to not have to roll the fenders if I don't absolutely have to do so.

Or - should I look at buying a wider wheel? I am not going to put bigger tires on (such as 295's) at least in the near future.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there would be an issue with a 3.75" BS? I'm assuming a 3.5" would create issues with fender clearance and like I said, I would prefer to not have to roll the fenders if I don't absolutely have to do so.

Of course you don't want to damage your car by rolling your fender-lip. It can never be undone. It's possible that even with a 3.5 you won't have wheel lip contact with 60 series. With a 50 series, you probably would. If you go forward, and aren't sure if the outer lip will contact the tire, get some of those 1" wide nylon plastic type door edge guards and put a couple on each inside wheel lip. Then, if you have occasional contact going up driveways or encountering a bump or severe dip, you won't damage or cut the tire. :smile:

I had some 275-60-15's mounted on 8" widened GN wheels with a rear spacing of 3.5" and it was just perfect, no rubbing inside or outside. Right now, I'm using these same tires, but this time mounted on 15"x10" wheels with a rear spacing of 4.5" and it's also perfect. I must add that I have rolled fender lips though, but the frame is stock.
Hope this helps,

Claude. :smile:

Grumpy has run an 8" rim with a 4.5" backspace...with a 1/4" spacer...with a 275/60/15 DR.