275/55R16 M&H's on Classic Industries GNX wheels

GSX-PKV

Sorry if this is a redundant question on the board but I need to buy new drag radials for spring. I have Classic Industries GNX style 16" wheels on my car now with 255/50/16 street tires. There are no rubbing issues at all. I used to have 15" wheels on the car with 255-60-15 MT drag radials and have also had 275-50-15 BFG's also on my car without ever having a rubbing or clearance issue.

I'd like to buy 275/55R16 M&H drag radials and want to be pretty sure they will fit without rubbing. My car has aluminum brake drums. If anyone has these or similar sized tires on the GNX style Classic Industries wheels, please let me know what you think. Thanks! Paul

Hi Claude, I read and posted on that but your tires were on 10" wheels (and looked great by the way)... I just wanted to be 100% sure they'd fit as well on my 8" wheels. Thanks, Paul

I have them on my T-type with GTA fronts and alum drums. They fit perfect without rubbing frame or lip both of which are stock on my car.

Hi Claude, I read and posted on that but your tires were on 10" wheels (and looked great by the way)... I just wanted to be 100% sure they'd fit as well on my 8" wheels. Thanks, Paul

Paul, I'm pretty sure they'll also fit on a stock 8" wide wheel (even though M&H recommends a minimum of 9" wide)...:redface: The only thing to make sure is that your wheels have enough rear spacing so the tire's inside sidewall bulge won't rub against the frame. Other than that, you should be ok.:wink:

Claude. :smile:

Just put them on and they seem to fit nicely and look perfect in the wheel well. I'm really glad I went with this size! It looks close near the frame so we'll see if it rubs any in hard turns. All I have to do now is wait for the snow to melt here to try them out :) Thanks again for your help guys. Paul

Attachments

• M&H.jpg
    M&H.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 655
Thanks. There is about 5/16" space between the tire and frame at it's closest point. I have long studs so a spacer would be a good idea if I have any rubbing. The car has H&R upper and lower control arms and has a pretty stiff suspension so we'll have to see and go from there. If we use a spacer, is there a special one required with a 16" wheel? Paul

ride height

Paul-

I think you need to lower your front end 1-1.5" and it will be killer....

Thanks Joe, but I took the car out today and there is no rubbing at any time, in corners, over speed bumps... nothing. They fill up the rear wheel wells nicely and I think give the car a nice stance. Paul
paul how do the they hook on the street compared to other drag radials you have ran thanks mike

paul how do the they hook on the street compared to other drag radials you have ran thanks mike
i have had mine on for over a year,and they hook great on the street,not to bad at the track either. i also got caught in some rain and not so scary like et streets

Through the years I've had 15" Mickey Thompson, M&H and BFG drag radials and they all seemed pretty equal hooking on the street. The 16" M&H's I have now hook great on the street (although with my engines power, they and the others can be blown away pretty easily) and are decent on the track. The 60' times on the track were off some compared to the other tires I've run but I thing that could be due to the 16" size that has shorter sidewalls to flex. No big deal though... these tires are perfect IMO for my car.

Through the years I've had 15" Mickey Thompson, M&H and BFG drag radials and they all seemed pretty equal hooking on the street. The 16" M&H's I have now hook great on the street (although with my engines power, they and the others can be blown away pretty easily) and are decent on the track. The 60' times on the track were off some compared to the other tires I've run but I thing that could be due to the 16" size that has shorter sidewalls to flex. No big deal though... these tires are perfect IMO for my car.
thanks for the reply im
going to try them this year on my car. mike

try sending a PM to MC71454 if you're interested in a pair. He has a pair that are nearly brand new he may sell.