255/60/15's too much???

eiuskoalman

another set of rear tires bites the dust, suprise, suprise. anyway, its time for some new ones and i like the look of the 255's, probably go with BFG radial TA's. i'll be mounting them on the stock 87 T wheels. my concern is fender clearance, not worried about speedo error due to different diameter, more concerned with rubbing. will these cause me to have to roll the fenders & trim? the car has the original springs under it and it looks to have a little bit of a saggy a$$. any input appreciated.

aaron
87 T

They will fit fine. I have 255/60-15 ta radials as my street tires on t-type rims. They are actually closer to the frame than the fender lip.The 275/50 will rub the frame and is considered too wide for a 7 inch rim (bad contact patch). Never tried the 275/60's yet.

Here to. In fact I've got to where I think they look small. No issues, but since its firm and sits a tad high, I think a previous owner put in cargo springs. Pic link below.

My car has the 275/50/15s on the back. Thats what was on it when I got it. I've only driven the car 50 miles but I didn't hear or feel anything rubbing. Do you think I should change sizes? These are the stock rims btw. Also how far off would this put my speedo?

Originally posted by ZCore
My car has the 275/50/15s on the back. Thats what was on it when I got it. I've only driven the car 50 miles but I didn't hear or feel anything rubbing. Do you think I should change sizes? These are the stock rims btw. Also how far off would this put my speedo?

That tire is almost identical to stock diameter, so speedo should be OK. Just keep an eye on the treadwear and tire pressure. My 255/60's have had 18 - 20 lbs since day one (almost 2 years now) and still wear more in the middle.

Alright thanks Scotty. I got down and looked and they aren't rubbing the from and I can almost get a finger width in between them and the frame. So I guess I'll leave them for now.

Most of the time the 275-50 will rub on the frame when you take a sharp corner. Some have said they rub almost constantly...I guess it depends on how the rear end is centered up in the car.

every car is different. My 275-50's on 8" rims don't rub anywhere.. no spacers but I did put aluminum drums on which move the wheels out 3/8" or so over the cast irom drums due to the thicker face.

I have run both 255x60 and 275x60 tires on stock T rims. No problem with the 255 tires, the 275's are tight on the inside so I run a 1/8" spacer with these tires.

My rear is dropped 1 1/2" and I still do not have a problem. Remember each car is different in terms of the body to frame alinment, and it will depend on the condition of your body bushings.

I think the 255 tire is a good replacement. For an S rated tire, I would recommend looking at the Firestone 500 tires, big difference in the durometer between these and BFG's, I have tried both.

I run on the street 255x60 on the rear and 235x60 on the front.

The 255x60 tires are 1" larger in diameter than stock so it does change your speedo reading.

Enough

Donald McMullin

Iam running 275/50/15's in the rear on bf drag radials i had to use a 1/4 spacer so they wouldn't rub the frame still do on tight turns so i have to be careful and since i put the spacers in on really bad bumps they hit the lip but only on bad bumps since my suspension is stiff.

I have TA Radial 255/60/15 on mine using The T-Type wheels. I think its looks wimpy. They just look to small in the back. I think I'll try the 275's next. Plus the 255's are useless at 20 psi boost on the street:D :D