255-50-16 Tires becoming extinct?

overkillphil

Been using that size on our Buick GN's and other GM's since the late 80's. Now I'm trying to get my Dads 87 GN back on the road, ordered (4) BFG G-Force's after Thanksgiving. Was told they were on backorder. Today I get a call and email that the order has been cancelled, citing that BFG is not making those anymore. I called BFG tonight and couldn't get any useful information out of the cookie cutter customer service representative.

Does anyone know if they are available from any sources? Are they still being made? Are there any other brands in that size that are comparable in traction/performance/quality? What are you guys with GNX and Kirban rims running?

Thanks for any input.

Not many left, as you've discovered. Only other car I can think of that had them as an OE size is the early C4. Falken makes a 255/50/16 but they're pretty much hockey pucks. Price is right though.

2010-10-04 15.33.39.jpg
275/45/16 toyo proxes TQ drag radials fit perfect

Yes, checked them already, no tires. Checked all of the sources I could find online actually. Surprising, I wonder what the mid 80's Vette guys are doing?

255/40-18's up "Front" here...heh..an 295/40-18's out back, Falken Azenis's on ROH Drift wheels..No Mod's..8^)

IMG_0018End march GN 201110-13-11 ISS.jpgGN side close 2.jpg

That sucks

We run 4 of these on our 2+2. We used to run Dunlops, which were excellent. The BFG's Sports we currently run, not so much.

It looks like the next set we buy will be race tires, since there are lots of those available.

Hey: Just got a pair off Falken 255x50x16 tires from Online Tires Direct for 110 each. i know the Falken tire is not all that great, but I only drive my GN 500 miles a year in good weather so what the hell, the price is right. they have the 255's in stock, took me three days to get them, and they ship them for 0.

Good luck
Dave

hello; I think it's true in a 16" tire. There's a few choices. I went with a BF Goodrich but in a 245-50 size. Not many miles or stories on them yet.
IBBY

i ran into the same shortage about a year ago, couldn't get that size tires, finally used that as an excuse to get 17" wheels. couldn't wait any longer, had the annual state safety check coming up and was running on bald tires. yeah, kinda lame...

I had the same problem on my pickup for a while, BFG 295/55/15's. Vendor said they weren't being made anymore. I bought another brand. When I replaced that set, BFG had them in production again.