231 v6 gaskets

jimski

In over my head
What is the best gasket kit for the engine. Tore the unit down and i must say it is prestine in there. I smoked a ring with too much boost and or knock, remember it was smoking from the valve covers. The engine had 30,000 original miles when i bought it. The cylinder walls still have slight cross hacth marks on them when GM honed the 20+ years ago

Im thinking standard hasting piston rings, rehone the cylinders. Put it back toghether. Any ideals, the bearings look new and like i said the piston walls still have cross hatch marks #3 has slight and i mean slight scuff from bad ring right up the center. I can hone that out.

What is the best gasket kit for the engine. Tore the unit down and i must say it is prestine in there. I smoked a ring with too much boost and or knock, remember it was smoking from the valve covers. The engine had 30,000 original miles when i bought it. The cylinder walls still have slight cross hacth marks on them when GM honed the 20+ years ago

Im thinking standard hasting piston rings, rehone the cylinders. Put it back toghether. Any ideals, the bearings look new and like i said the piston walls still have cross hatch marks #3 has slight and i mean slight scuff from bad ring right up the center. I can hone that out.

Complete NOS GM kit at NOS4GN - $179.00 - includes the long-ago discontinued GM head gaskets.
http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-408/buick-grand-national-engine/Detail

If you have it tron down - why NOT get the crank polished and install new bearings?

i am cheap so i use felpro. $179 for gaskets wow. :eek:

Errr. that's a complete set, not just head gaskets. But yes - piecing them together will be cheaper. I bought the GM headgaskets from them, my preference, and they were really expensive - but again, my preference, and piece of mind.

Errr. that's a complete set, not just head gaskets. But yes - piecing them together will be cheaper. I bought the GM headgaskets from them, my preference, and they were really expensive - but again, my preference, and piece of mind.
I'm with you on the GM steel shim HG, those are nice and as you said discontinued bummer.

Slumming Mark?:p Were those the metal shim type or the later graphite type head gaskets? Nick at Arizona GN is the only one that I know has the stock steel shim gaksets. Does Glen have the too?

I hope this is not a stupid question but the head gaskets look so new can they be reused?

You might get away with it, but why risk it? If it was an N/A car - i wouldn't have a problem re-using them.

You tore it down this far - unless you want a high possibility of having to do it again soon - replace them.

You might get away with it, but why risk it? If it was an N/A car - i wouldn't have a problem re-using them.

You tore it down this far - unless you want a high possibility of having to do it again soon - replace them.

True, was just entertaining the ideal

If they're steel shim I might consider it, but head gaskets aren't that expensive compaired to blowing one so why risk it.:)