200r4 is bad

Kendall1214

Well my transmission on my car is bad anyone did a switch to a 700r4? Or is it more cost effective to have one built? Any thoughts or advice? I've heard the 700r4 is excellent and horrible both ways...which way is best?

What about the 4l80e? I'm wanting low 10s thinking bout going into the 9s is the built 200 enough for that?

I went to a 700r4 in 1989. No one in the area that I could find could build a 2004r that would stay together for me back then. I am back to a 2004r in mine. Lots of knowledge out there to build a stout 2004r in the last 20 yrs.

That said I would go 2004r probably into the high 10s . After that I doubt it is a street car that gets driven. I would do a th400. Nothing wrong with a 4l80e. Just more complex. Computer, adapter, driveshaft, torque converter, moving the crossmember.

To me if you are planning to drive it and run in the nines an lsx swap starts to look pretty good. At that point I either unload the car and start with a regular g body, mustang or f body and go fast or lower my goals. Cutting up a turbo regal for safety stuff just isn't in what i would do.

Are you near a builder of 2004r that is mentioned on here? Plenty of them can get you what you need or even ship it to you.

What about the 4l80e? I'm wanting low 10s thinking bout going into the 9s is the built 200 enough for that?

You don't need a 4L80E. You need to call Lonnie @ extremeautomatic.com or David Husek @ turbobuickperformance.com and talk to them.

They will spend the time with you and build a trans that you need for your goals. Or you could just buy the best [billet everything] 2004r trans and grow into it.

I know you say you are wanting low tens, who wouldn't except the guys that say they want low nines in a street driven TB.

You are a newb that bought into the hype and just need to slow down and read and also fill out your sig so people can help give you good advice and most of all enjoy your car.

X2 on what they all said ∆∆. For eventual 9.9 car you can keep the 200, but the th400 is better for continuous pounding on near the 10.0- 9.9 mark.

Never said low nines nor that I was going to cut car up! Lol planning on certain events. Right now Ik that the 200 is good for mid tens! Ik cause friends done it. I'm just thinking I may push into nines later on! But have been shooting for low 10s

If you are going to run it at a strip that has any kind of decent tech and run those numbers you will have to do some safety stuff. If you are smart and want to be safe you want the safety stuff.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/16/00/2E7B39C900000578-3319849-image-a-8_1447634290861.jpg
2E7B39C900000578-3319849-image-a-8_1447634290861.jpg

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/buick-nats-nov-2011-036-jpg.148564/
buick-nats-nov-2011-036-jpg.148564

I'm sure your family will thank you.

You don't say what is wrong with your trans. Slipping, park and six neutrals, black burnt smelling fluid?

If you have the brf vb and governor you are way ahead. Just make sure who ever builds it understands you require them to have those in the finished product. A dual fed, billet shaft forward drum will go a long way with proper setup and assembly.

To me if you are planning to drive it and run in the nines an lsx swap starts to look pretty good. At that point I either unload the car and start with a regular g body, mustang or f body and go fast or lower my goals.

Um, what????????

Um, what????????
Cutting up a turbo regal isn't in my wheel house. His car his choices, just spouting my opinions. To run where he has goals for is going to require safety equipment to do it safely. And to do it reliably a ta block and such or an lsx swap starts looking pretty cost effective. Especially after a couple 109 blocks get broken.

That said a 2004r can be built to do special things with the right parts and the right builder .

Cutting up a turbo regal isn't in my wheel house. His car his choices, just spouting my opinions. To run where he has goals for is going to require safety equipment to do it safely. And to do it reliably a ta block and such or an lsx swap starts looking pretty cost effective. Especially after a couple 109 blocks get broken.

That said a 2004r can be built to do special things with the right parts and the right builder .
Really? I thought it was mistakes that blew motors up. Because I have seen a lot of 9 second LS motors with holes blown out of them. Sometimes more that one in a single night. Funny thing though. I never blew up a Buick V6.

Safety can be done tastefully. If going fast is the only thing on his mind, then why bother with anything. Join the Air Force.

The fun part is doing it with a V6!

I'm with ya, mine has a v6 . And I'm back to a 2004r. Nothin wrong with either choice just not a turbo regal to me when you swap in an lsx.

I am sure with the right parts a nine second car can have a 2004r. But it isn't as reliable as a 4l80e or a th400 imo. A v6 Buick is a stout engine and if you don't have a decent tune you will hurt an engine no matter the make. You have witnessed it your self.

I'm with ya, mine has a v6 . And I'm back to a 2004r. Nothin wrong with either choice just not a turbo regal to me when you swap in an lsx.

I am sure with the right parts a nine second car can have a 2004r. But it isn't as reliable as a 4l80e or a th400 imo. A v6 Buick is a stout engine and if you don't have a decent tune you will hurt an engine no matter the make. You have witnessed it your self.
Well, I must confess. I no longer have a 200. But I would if I had a low 10/high 9 second car when wicked up to 30PSI. My TR ran 10's on 12 lbs of boost. So after I burned up my second 200, I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I think he should have a bad-ass 200 built for now. It may be years before he's anywhere near the deep 9's.

That's why I recommended it.

Mine is a street car. I drive it every day. I go to the track if i can.

Dreamers dream, the rest make things happen. Sounds like you are in the latter.

I'm Buick to the core. Mine will be a Buick v6 as long as i own it. My GS will always have a big block. It is only right in my eyes. It is the only brand of car I've ever owned(except the 5.0mustang I bought for my girlfriend to drive). Though I do have Chevy trucks.

Kendall . Call Dave like I told you and don't look back. If you don't have the money save until you do. Learn from my mistakes and take it slow. You do not want to blow that brand new stroker motor up.

I did call Dave bud he got back with me this evening. Looking at lil over 3k.for tranny that can make to high nines if i want. Shipping and a 3021 non lock up converter... ugh my cars fighting me the whole way! He sounds very knowledgeable. Sounds like the machine shop put wrong strength springs too. I told them I wanted 140 they said they couldn't find pac 140s so cut them to fit the conical? (Angled springs) according to dave it wont make full power til then! Seems I'm finding lots of so call pros that do half assed jobs lol. But i gotta go to bank n do some adding up but ik I can get it but already spent so much. Lol guess its about done now. I'm also gonna get drive shaft loop.

And to do it reliably a ta block and such or an lsx swap starts looking pretty cost effective. Especially after a couple 109 blocks get broken.
there are plenty of guys that run stock block 109s into the 9s reliably. you would be surprised how long a 200 will last with the right parts and the right builder.no need for ls in the high 9/low 10 range