200R4 Help ASAP Please

Ebach57

I have rebuilt my 200R4 and everything went great and at the same time I am installing a shift kit. I am almost done with everything but I am at a step an stuck big time. I am installing the 2 gaskets and the spacer plate and the instructions say to use the old spacer plate to line up with the new one and mark where to drill a hole and make it the same size hole. Here is my problem somebody (me) threw the original plate away so I do not have it to do this part. I have been able to figure out the location with the paper gaskets but I do not know the size hole to drill:confused:. Anyone know the size the hole should be?? BTW I am in the middle doing this right now:eek:.

I have rebuilt my 200R4 and everything went great and at the same time I am installing a shift kit. I am almost done with everything but I am at a step an stuck big time. I am installing the 2 gaskets and the spacer plate and the instructions say to use the old spacer plate to line up with the new one and mark where to drill a hole and make it the same size hole. Here is my problem somebody (me) threw the original plate away so I do not have it to do this part. I have been able to figure out the location with the paper gaskets but I do not know the size hole to drill:confused:. Anyone know the size the hole should be?? BTW I am in the middle doing this right now:eek:.

what shift kit are you installing...the drill size should be in the instructions?

It is a TCI kit and they don't give a size. The paper work says match drill bit to hole on old spacer.

It is a TCI kit and they don't give a size. The paper work says match drill bit to hole on old spacer.

ouch...call tec support TCI - ABOUT US: Contact Us

TCI® Automotive
151 Industrial Drive
Ashland, MS 38603

Toll Free: 888-776-9824Telephone: 662-224-8972
Fax Line: 662-224-8255

Tech Support Hours
Monday - Friday, 7am - 6pm CST

TCI® Office Hours
Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm CST

Is the hole you are referring to the tcc signal hole or the 1-2 accumulator hole? Well, 1/16" will work for either hole. The tcc signal feeds the tcc valve in the pump cover. If you wish to leave the 1-2 accumulator functional, leave the piston and spring in the housing and drill the 1/16" hole. This will firm up the 1-2 shift without making it brutal.
Hope this helps.

Darkhorsebob thanks for the hole diameter. I am not sure about the 1-2 accumulator hole or not. It is about in the center of the spacer plate. I can kick myself for throwing the other spacer plate away. If I leave the 1-2 piston and spring out how bad is the shift? If I leave the piston and spring in will it still shift frim enough that the wheels still chirp shifting to 2nd?

That valve body plate does not have the hole pre-drilled for the 1-2 accumulator either. So, if you don't drill the hole you can leave the piston and spring out. I would suggest leaving the spring and piston in, so they won't get lost just in case the 1-2 shift is too rough for you. You can always drill the plate later.

I have just re-read the TCI instructions and I made a mistake. It is NOT the 1-2 accumulator but the converter clutch hole that needs to be drilled on the spacer plate. I also for the 1-2 accumulator hole should be 3/16" and not 1/16 if this matters to anyone. So anyone know the size for the converter clutch hole???

The hole sizes are not critical. The tcc signal hole only needs to feed the tcc valve in the pump cover as I stated before. A 1/16" hole will supply plenty of oil to the tcc valve.
Drilling the 1-2 accumulator hole only 1/16" will make the shift firmer with out being too harsh. Drilling the hole out to 3/16" and you will have a stock feeling 1-2 shift.

Just got off the phone with TCI and they told me that NO holes need to be drilled and if I had my old spacer plate the newer TCI spacer plate should have it drilled and if it was not drilled it would not hurt anything. Thanks for the help Darkhorsebob and Scott89TTA

Is the TCI valve body plate red? Are you installing a Trans-Scat kit # 386000? If the plate is red the holes are not drilled.
With whom did you talk with at TCI?
Thanks, Bob

Bob,You hit everything on the nose with the kit. I did not write the techs name down sorry. The tech was trying to find some files and then he asked someone and I was told he was an engineer saying it should already be drilled but if it was not it will just make it a firmer shift.