200amp alternator. What does it REALLY provide???

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I run a 200 amp alternator to handle my stereo. Now its a high amp alternator, so does this mean its also a high voltage one??? Meaning, the voltage will be higher so it will result in even more voltage for my fuel pump/ignition/etc.? Right? In other words, is it like having a volt booster? I would just like to get the goods on it. Thanks all!

Scott

The armature and stator are what dictate how much amperage it will put out. The regulator dictates how many volts. I dont know much about the 200 amp alts everyones talking about, but I would like to think they have hi voltage regulator in it. I replaced the reg in my cs-144 alt w/ a 14.8v reg.

I doubt it's any higher voltage than a stocker.

Usually the regulator is upgraded due to the current but not to put out more voltage.

Sometimes the amperage is lower at idle than a stocker too.

It's like camming a motor all the power is on the big end, high rpms.

Should have come with a dyno. sheet as to voltage and amperage at various rpms. too.

I got the regulator from my local alternator/starter rebuilder. PG Keene in Bridgview IL. Im sure 411 has the number. They list a few different volatages for the same alt's, just tell em what you want and they can set you up. If you call em, talk to Cortez or Sam, they'll set you up right.
Hope that helps

The output voltage is going to be determined by the choice of voltage regulator the builder made, but is probably close to 13.8-14.5 V since that's what keeps lead acid batteries happy over the long haul. The current rating basically tells how many amps the alt can put out under an extreme load, but the output voltage will sag down at currents well below the max output current. Going to a higher current rated alt will keep the voltage up, up to higher loads and also as the alt heats up.