2004r Shifter for use with transbrake.

Cheeseburger

Being that i already made a couple errors with the stock shifter i am looking into an aftermarket one.

I left with the brake and on the launch pulled it back to 1 with the momentum of the car, and forgot to 2-3 shift on another half pass.

Any really good shifters out there?

TIA.

almost anything is better than stock.....a lot of the AZ guys have good luck with the B&M Mega shifter (on both 200's and 400's)

Most Texas guys including me run a Transbrake using the stock shifter. No shifting after launch by modifying the stock shifter detent plate. i have the instructions I will send to you. Very easy and much cheaper than going to another shifter. I am looking forward to seeing when Woody will argue, as he always does!
Mitch

From my own experience, I HATE ( dislike ) the mega shifter. Never seemed to have the correct throw to shift up and down thru the gears, w/o having to bang it twice to get first. B&M sent me a few different trans. levers, but I ended up making my own which worked OK. Finally, I pulled it out and bought a economical B&M " Sport Shifter" and made my own gate. Still have the "Mega Shifter" on the shelf.

Originally posted by CallMeMud
Stock shifter with laser cut detent plate from Century transmissions. Only $25.

The little plate doesn't help if you want to make the 2-3 manually to get the most out of the car. I had the plate and when I launched and shifted allt he way to 3rd, the car was more than a .10 slower shifter 2-3 on it's verus me shifting it at 5800.

I use the B&M quicksilver with a T-handle that has a button built in and even though it was a pain to install, it works great with nice clean rachet shifts.

Sully

Thanks guys.........looking into it.
Think its worth the effort to modify my detent plate and try it out?

TIA

only if you like to shift 2-3 automatically.......will cost you many .1's

The Bitch of using a non-ratchet shifter is that you can accidentally shift from 1st to 3rd (and actually into Reverse if you are an idiot). Although, this may not be the worst thing in the world if your tranny automatically shifts at the high RPMs you want.

A ratchet-shifter (such as the B&M Megashifter that I and many AZ people use ;)) is that the above scenarios cannot happen. Plus you have the added benefit of controlling your upshift to whatever RPM you want...without futzing around with shift valves, springs, etc.

I always associate the megashifter with slow El Camino's for some reason. You wouldn't catch that shifter in my car. Q- Stick for me.

different strokes for different folks, but the bottom line is it works a lot better than the stocker

I use the B&M pro stick. Very similar to the Quarter Stick, actually costs a little less, and you get a 4 speed gate with it versus paying extra for one with the Qtr. Stick. You also get the heavy duty race cable standard with it. You would have to pay extra to get the good cable with a Megashifter. Good Luck, any aftermarket shifter is a huge step up from the stocker, especially if leaving off a T brake.

Thanks for the info guys!
Can any of the shifters be pushed forward from 1 to 2 or do you need to press a button in to get it forward like the stock shifter?
Reason i ask is it would probably be easier to bang it out of 1 (transbrake), then to grasp the handle and hope that the momentum of the launch does not make you accadently bring it back to 1..........like i did with the stock shifter once.

:eek:

B&M megashifter here and love it must say you will never ever ever miss a shift, and can never slip into any gear you dont want to has reverse lockout as well. all you have to do is lift the lever from park into either reverse,neutral or OD and since I drive in 3rd(D) around the st's i just have to ratchet it down one time, i also have line lock so i have the button on the handle but that can also be used for a transbrake. bottom line the shifter is great you can litteraly kick into gear and it will not miss, you just have to take an e-clip off so it can be for a 4 speed.

Shifters.

Cheese! I used a B&M Mega shifter when I was running the 200 in the car, excellent results, never used a TB with the 200 though.

9sec.