2004r help desperately needed!!!!

skylarkharley

Hello, heard this was the best site to ask this from the guys at v8 buick.
Got a 72 skylark that I just put a 200r4 into. The trans got a tci constant pressure valve body, and everything looked tidy inside when I had the vb out. Here is the issue, the trans has a very very weak reverse(tires off the ground and they spin in reverse , snails pace reverse with car on the ground and high revs. Also it doesn't shift out of first..... At all, not even into third....can't manually shift either, 1st 2nd and 3rd have no rev change when going through them manually. Gotta get this going for a big show on the weekend of the 24th, so any help is welcome!!!

Why did you chose to go with the constant pressure vb?
Is the trans a fresh build or a used piece you picked up?
I'm thinking it has an internal leak. Might be vb or could be deeper into the trans at one or more of the seals. What is it doing when you put it in d or od? What about when you put it in low?

It's a used unit. Foreword gears only stays I. First. No matter if it's in d ,1,2,3. Went with the cp valve body due to how easy these burn up

You say you had the VB out. Are you sure that all the checkballs are in the right place? VB gaskets in top condition? Bolts torqued properly? Steel tube firmly in place?

As Chuck said, the pressure gauge should tell a story.

It's a used unit. Foreword gears only stays I. First. No matter if it's in d ,1,2,3. Went with the cp valve body due to how easy these burn up
What did you use for a plate and gaskets? They only burn up easy when major human error is involved. Like the TV cable is not connected and its driven to the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything was done to a t as per instructions from tci. I used the plate and gaskets provided in the kit. I'm gonna pull the pan back off tonight and see if I can see anything obvious. What do I need as far as gauges go, like as min/max pressure?

As stated, put a pressure gauge on it.

Quick story, I just picked a CRF that the seller said was good recent rebuild. Nope. Smoked. All clutches burned up and the best part was the "rebuilder" forgot the thrust washer between the sun shell and low reverse. Metal on metal. It felt loose and had a gut feelng about it..
Took me all of 15 mins to tear into it. Would never run one of these without taking a look. Lesson learned.

Needs a direct drum too....which now seems to be hard to get good ones. Need one and have three that may be able to be refinished....