2004R billet clutch pistons

chris718

A member was just asking about this part, billet aluminum forward clutch piston, and I completed the run. The overdrive and low reverse will be a few weeks more. The direct is on my site. Anyhow, I just pulled a unit apart from a customer in jersey that had a version of a billet forward clutch piston I have not seen as of yet. The thing I didnt like was it was void of spring pockets machined in the front face. Anyhow if any members are interested in them, let me know. They will be 44.99 shipped for the rest of the week for any members. Ill post pics up of the others when run is complete.

Attachments

• DSC01199.JPG
    DSC01199.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 170
Is there anything specifically "wrong"with the original GM aluminum forward pistons? Can a stock steel one be substituted by adding a bleed hole in a drum without a bleeder?

Is there anything specifically "wrong"with the original GM aluminum forward pistons? Can a stock steel one be substituted by adding a bleed hole in a drum without a bleeder?
The aluminum cast piston is prone to cracking with increased line pressure and the stamping flexes and has a narrow work surface reducing clamping efficiency. I have used stamped steel pistons in drums w/out a ball bleed valvel with no issues, although t is not politically correct. I have made some of the pistons without the drilled bleed holes for those drums w/ ball bleed valves as well. Typically ball bleed valves are used with rotating clutch housings as is evident by the lack of its use in the low reverse and overdrive circuits/pistons. The overrun drum is another story as there is a big leak due to the bushing used to seal the one end of the feed circuit.Maybe although it rotates the engineers found it to be sufficient ?

The billet drum I got from you has an aluminum piston in it and no bleed ball. I think i'm more comfortable using a steel piston in it. Will it trap air without an orifice? Anything else i should do?

Last edited: