2003 Dodge Ram 2500

Hey Jack

Use Shell Rotella 15w-40 and K/N oil, air filters.

Happy to Help ya!:)

Diesel pickup trucks rule!

My boss had a 97 Ford F-350 w/ the powerstroke diesel...man, I was hooked on that truck! What a trooper, took everything we could throw at it and then some!

Diesels last forever man...I imagine you'll be having this one for a long time :cool:

I used to work at a Shell station. Rotella and Rotella T are what ALL the big diesel fleets use, INCLUDING my new shop which does a LOT of diesel. From VW Jetta's to a Volvo tractor (which takes 40somewhat quarts) We typically recommend diesel LOF's gol az little extended to 5000 miles. (cept tractors at 10k)

Damn Jack that is a serious rig, WOW.

nice pick up! its 4wd too. i wanna ride :) nice very nice.

Dathan

go with

Rotella Jack, I worked for Dodge for 4 years before coming to John Deere. 15w-40 Shell Rotella:D

Just regular old Napa gold/wix filters will be good for it. Absolutely no reason to pay out the @ss for K&N oil filters for it when they're the same damn thing. Air filter's a different story though...
Definitely Rotella. Great stuff!

Be VERY carefull what oil filters you use. I have a copy of a TSB that Dodge sent out to the dealers telling them to void engine warranties if there was an engine failure and the owner was not using one of the 7 or so "approved by Dodge/Cummins" oil filters. Basically the few that I can remember are: Fleetguard, Mopar, Puralator, Motorcraft and.....????...can't remember the rest. Dodge had a ton of motor failures due to use of Fram filters comming apart and clogging internal oil sprayers and passages. I actually saw a Fram filter that exploded under the high oil pressures these motors make at the filter. I use Wix myself and have had good luck with them. The Wix filters are about 1/2 the cost of the Mopar and every bit as strong. BTW, I own a 2003 3500 SRW 4x4 with the HO Cummins and LOVE IT...this is my second Cummins powered Ram and by far the best all around. It's stock and I'd put it up against any stock Powerjoke under any circumstances! 21 MPG on the highway is not too shabby for a 7000 pound truck:)

Got one too...

I've got one but it's a red Sport shortbed with the Cummins H.O. and six speed, 4x4, quadcab and all the goodies. An unbelievably strong truck. I haven't had it in for service yet but will most likely use the Rotella.

I use Rotella T and Wix filters in mine without a problem. I have had the truck for four months and love it. I get 20 miles to the gallon with and I can haul anything I want in it. The best of both worlds!!

Check out this web site if you haven't already: www.turbodieselregiter.com

ive got one also, i use shell oil and puralator filters from advanced auto.

when i purchased my Patriot Pearl Blue 2002 dually 4x4 Dodge with the H.O. CUMMINS new from the dealer, they offered me a free oil change, ive yet to have that truck back to the dealership since the day i bought it april 2002!!!
i wonder if they would still give me that free oil change?

mine only has 14,700 highway miles on it and averages 15.2-16.0 with total weight at 17,000LBS
the fuel mileage isnt too bad, but its faster than turbov6joe's dodge :D

if you plan on buying some running boards/ step bars...
DO NOT DRILL THE FRAME, you will void the warranty from what i read on TDR

what did you pay for it by the way?

ive got one also, i use shell oil and puralator filters from advanced auto.

when i purchased my Patriot Pearl Blue 2002 dually 4x4 Dodge with the H.O. CUMMINS new from the dealer, they offered me a free oil change, ive yet to have that truck back to the dealership since the day i bought it april 2002!!!
i wonder if they would still give me that free oil change?

mine only has 14,700 highway miles on it and averages 15.2-16.0 with total weight at 17,000LBS
the fuel mileage isnt too bad, but its faster than turbov6joe's dodge :D

if you plan on buying some running boards/ step bars...
DO NOT DRILL THE FRAME, you will void the warranty from what i read on TDR

what did you pay for it by the way?

Another good oil that nobody has mentioned yet is Chevron delo 400 15-40. I also use Fleetguard filters.

Hey Jack, Nice truck. I have a 2wd 2003 and of course it's black :)

The advice given to you is good, especialy about the oil and oil filter.

The advice from another board you might visit for the Dodge Cummins is

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/index.php?s=

This board and club is as good as the Buick groups for the Cummins and Dodge.

They do have a thread about air filters and most of the group is against the K&N for the diesel. From the test it lets in to much dirt for the diesels. You can read the information yourself.

:D The information is also there on how to soup up the motor but all of them void the warrenty.

Happy motoring