2002 ZO6 At Track

Epitome

Staff member
My first pass at Englishtown on Saturday lined me up against a 2002 Blue ZO6 Vette. I already had had the guy in the lanes tell me "I see you're gonna be trouble already with that 12.00 already on the window. If you run 11.80 or better don't even bother coming back". I'm tuned for 10.90-11.00 and figure I'll make a few 1/8th mile passes on the brakes at the end to try and get a good 60' with the new wolfebar. Well, when we are a few cars back from going (I still have my passenger window down, it was hot) the ZO6 guy lifts the shield on his crazy pattern motorcycle helmet and yells "good luck" with a little salute. I just gave him the "ok" sign realizing he's being more naive than cocky. So when I line up I pay most of my attention to the lights so I can cut a good one, which also means I didn't really bring the boost up enough. Anyway, he cuts a .569 to my .580 and then I was gone. I ran 11.98@86mph (98mph in the 8th) on the brakes to his "I'd better quit before I actually lose 17.30@36mph". I asked him later "what happened on that run"? He said his tires went up in smoke on the launch so there was no point in finishing the run. I have a feeling he was a first time Vette/ZO6 owner that had no idea about GNs.....I guess he knows now :)

Never got to play around adjusting it, but I still ran a 1.57 which is better than my best of 1.62 with a stock suspension. I think it's gonna be great......but I guess we'll see :)

Good story, I love the sleeper effect of these cars. I have an idea, but do you know what the new Vettes run, in the quarter and eighth also? I know its traction also, but let's say a 1.8 or 1.9 short time. Looks like I am going to stick with the eighth mainly, even on a quarter track, like you. Then after seeing some good traction, let it go the quarter.

When people ask me if I "won" at the track, I say I beat this modded LS1, lost to the Mustang that sprayed, etc. They think you can be the fastest car at the track and have no idea what street car fast is :rolleyes: .

2002 Z06 at the track (Moroso in PBG)

When I was down visiting for the July 4th holiday I went to Moroso(Fri., the 6th). There were 2 Z06s there. A 2001 was running mid 13s dry, mid 12s on the bottle.

The 2002 Z06 was dropping 12.4-12.5 runs with a 1.9-2.0 sec 60'. Talked to the guy for a minute. He had 700 miles on the car. No mods at all. He was baselining. I was pretty impressed.

Re: 2002 Z06 at the track (Moroso in PBG)

Originally posted by Ellis
When I was down visiting for the July 4th holiday I went to Moroso(Fri., the 6th). There were 2 Z06s there. A 2001 was running mid 13s dry, mid 12s on the bottle.

The 2002 Z06 was dropping 12.4-12.5 runs with a 1.9-2.0 sec 60'. Talked to the guy for a minute. He had 700 miles on the car. No mods at all. He was baselining. I was pretty impressed.
Sounds like the 2002 models are quite a bit faster on motor and stock. I had the chance to ride in a 2001, a guy at work, and that's what I thought with it, mid to low 13's, depending on driver, shifting, and traction. Just makes me :D to know our cars stock can match and beat that. I would love to line up with one for fun. I know they are a great engine from what I read about the aftermarket doing with them, they have a lot of potential and of course fast from the factory.

Good Kill Ted :)

Us corvette guys with Cartek heads/cam are running 11.20's @ 123 mph in the heat with 60 ft times of 1.5-1.6 range with 6 speed . In the cooler air we run 10.80's @ 126. We make 460 RWHP thats about 550 hp at the motor and our cars with driver weigh between 3150-3260 pounds. The combos above also have NOS isntalled but not track tested yet. Good for 700 HP total on motor.

A friend of mine has a 6-speed 415 powered ls1 1999 corvette running 10.68's @ 129 mph with 1.50 60 ft times in the heat and not yet tested with the cooler air. Should go low 10.30's @ 133 with cooler temps. Another friend of mine has a 422 automatic 1998 corvette ls1 that has run 10.80's @ 125 with 1.54 60 ft time.in the heat and also not yet tested in cooler air because these setups were just built. The 2 cars mentioned above are currently being setup to shoot 300-500 shot of NOS through a progressive system. Should be intresting to see what they run July 27 at the next cartek corvette challenge at e town.

All these cars run CCW drag wheels with front skinnys and rear et streets or hoosiers.

I own both a GN and corvette and on the highway or from a roll its hard to be beat in the vette :)

Well, like I said in the other post, with my 3/4 of a second spool up your friend would have roasted me even if we had similar mph, which we didn't. Do you guys all have cages? I didn't notice one, but it was dark that night.

The one you raced is getting a cage put in next week. The others I mentioned have cages already. I will be getting one put in next month. Depends on the night you go to e town and whos working there...sometimes you can get away running in the 11's with out a cage.