200 AMP alternator upgrade

dmorgan

I was wondering if it would be a worth while upgrade?
Does it charge less at idle?
My car runs in the elevens and I was considering the rebuild kit.
Any feed back would be great - I looked at the voltage amplifier but the ignition and electrical needs amps - fuel pump volts and its hot wired.
If I'm not on the right track please let me know:confused:
Thanks
Dan

What symptoms are you experiencing that you think a larger alternator will help?

If you change the alternator that much, you also need to upgrade the wire sizes significantly (throughout the whole harness).

-BC

WOW, no symptoms - I thought the hisher amperage would benefit the ignition system.

I updated my fuel pump wiring, FI wiring, and upgraded my alternator . I didn't want to run out of voltage when pushing my Aeromotive fuel pump or triggering my injectors. Better safe than sorry.
Conrad

The voltage (not amperage) might help the ignition, but the alternator will only put out enough current to maintain the voltage required by the voltage regulator. If your current alternator can sustain 14.2 volts during a run, a bigger alternator won't have any advantage.

-BC

Thank you for the advice and information, and I really do appreciate it. That cleared some things up for me.
DM

Why Would Anyone "NOT" Want To Upgrade?

Very happy with the 200a alternator upgrade. Should be among 1st mods.

(The only "extra" in the install is to R&R the alt/power wire w/4g.)

Have had three 200a alternators (3 cars) 5+ years now, and coincidentally
or not, have never experienced any of the many various electrical
mysteries, gremlins and nightmares you see 1000s of posts about constantly & continually. :)

Like stated previously, we may not "need" 60# injectors, but we're glad
to have that extra reserve "safety" margin on injector duty cycle, and
the same goes for the 200a alternator.

HTH

I have 200A alts on both cars...and didn't upgrade any of the wiring...no problems after many years...I would say go for it...

(The only "extra" in the install is to R&R the alt/power wire w/4g.)
HTH

is that the only thing "extra" you did? I just completed the alty upgrade. WITHOUT THE HELP OF PETESGN I would have never have done this on my own btw. But everything is together and on the motor. Should run fine, I will go 4g on the atly wire, thats no big deal.

thanks in advance, the XxDarkSidexX