200-4R won't shift into 3rd or overdrive...

Did you ask David about him putting together a package for you? He does custom stuff to fit your goals.

The B&M kit is about half the cost of the ac kit. There is also a transgo, and tci that are pretty good according to this forum. If you google you can read the instructions for those and see what is in the kits.

shoot didn't think of asking dave when i had him on the phone... but after researching a bit it seemed that the ac kit was the best bang for my buck, i didn't want to spend too much in case i have to save up for the rebuild. although b&m was the cheapest i saw too many posts about their kits causing damaging :(

finally got some time to work on the ol' girl and was doing some research before pulling the valve body, to make sure i knew somewhat what i was doing haha... but my internet cut out so i didn't feel comfortable taking it off just yet. so i figured if it was gummed up with some of that stop leak crap i might as well put it back together and run some cleaners through it to get what i could into the filter and the pan, since i had two gaskets and filters anyway. then i went for a test drive which i think is good news...

i've got solid reverse, 1st and 2nd for sure no slippage. got 3rd and overdrive back but at first it shifted then seemed like it was going into passing gear a couple times, revving at high rpms but with no pickup? but when i took my foot off the gas it would shift into 3rd and overdrive. only once or twice did it slip back out of overdrive, then to get it to shift back i took my foot off the gas and it would shift back in. also when i brought the turbo up to boost at about 1psi it just bogged down and wouldn't build anymore boost? at that time it would seem to shift to passing gear and not shift back until i took my foot of the accelerator. now i'm not sure if i'm dealing with just trans issues or other demons too?

i think i'm going to still take off the vb, clean it up and modify the governor... hope for the best.

today i got the valve body off, trying to be extra careful about the spillage and bearings... what a mess whew. it looked pretty dirty, had grime in the channels and some coated on the gasket. plus when i pulled the accumulator housing the thicker spring on the accumulator housing side was broken into three pieces??? also both accumulator pistons were a little stuck and took some doing to get them out... i imagine from the grim.

could the broken accumulator spring have been my issue or is it more of a result of the non-shifting? also should i be worried about spring fragments up in the rest of the trans?

Attachments

• 20140210_181416.jpg
    20140210_181416.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 160
  • 20140210_181407.jpg
    20140210_181407.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
  • 20140210_180403.jpg
    20140210_180403.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • 20140210_180336.jpg
    20140210_180336.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
IMAG2667-1.jpg

Mine came out in three pieces too. I was told this is normal and to replace it with a New one. I got a white one for a 700r4.
If you look over those pages I sent you might want to adjust some of those holes in the plate to firm up the shifts. Your call. Looks like you are making progress.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

could the broken accumulator spring have been my issue or is it more of a result of the non-shifting? also should i be worried about spring fragments up in the rest of the trans?
The broken spring will only have an affect on shift feel or firmness but will not prevent a shift from occurring. It's doubtful that there are loose fragments that you won't get cleaned out.

Using a scribe or thin screwdriver, carefully stroke all the valves in the valve body to be sure that they operate smoothly and don't stick.

I was told to make sure the tv valve was free and moved with the plunger. I put a new spring in between the plunger and the valve and I put a different spring under the valve in the bottom of there. This made the valve and plunger move in unison when the plunger was operated. I also swapped a different spring into the accumulator and line bias valves. This is also outlined in those pages I messaged to you. I would think a kit might address these but I'm cheap so I did it this way.

Have you pulled the governor out yet?

Last edited:
hey rich yeah that was some great info you sent. i couldn't try all the tricks being under time constraints with this as my only car in this state and not having a nice work space. well the results weren't great i didn't get lucky with the valve body, so i'm still missing 3rd and overdrive... comes and goes.

with the money being tight i'll have to go with the local guy for a rebuild but i'm going to ask to order the parts myself... i was thinking about getting this rebuild kit from extreme automatics to start
http://extremeautomatics.com/productdetail.php?product=103&fromc=0&fromp=5

I had the same problem you did except with 2nd. Ended up being my 2nd gear band had broken. I tried troubleshooting everything exactly the way you did. Ended up going to a shop for a rebuild.

yeah sucks doing all that work then realizing it's gotta go in for a rebuild anyway lol. too bad i can't pull the trans myself with where i'm living or i'd totally try to tackle the rebuild... but i've got that extreme automatics mild performance rebuild kit on order and soon as it comes in i'm taking the ol' girl over to get the trans rebuilt. sucks not having the dough to get the best stuff but i've got to work with what i've got because i really need to get mobile, hoofing it when you live miles outside of town is no fun haha.

finally got some news from the guy doing the rebuild. he's saying i'll need the front pump, direct clutch drum and torque converter... i'm running low on the dough so i'm ordering the parts myself instead of letting the rebuilder source them, which probably cost more and possibly be cheap parts? i'm looking at ordering through PATC, i've heard good things and they are affordable enough for me without breaking the bank. anyone know if i'll have luck gabbing these parts from PATC or is there another place i should source that is similar in price?

also the last 3 digits off the servo are 564 with the last three being 569 on the housing... so i don't think my modified governor will play nice with that servo? i modified mine to have the small weight at about 15 grams and the large at about 35 grams...

That is a small servo. I would go with a larger one. At least a 692 or 694. Or one of the aftermarket ones if you can't find a used one. I sent you a pm.

The 569 is on the left. The right one is a used aftermarket I picked up.